cat's paw bleeding...

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Help, I was just posting and my cat Twig jumped up on me.. No big deal until he got down and there was a spot of blood on my leg. I thought it was mine because of his claws but it turned out to be his, from his paw pads. We washed the area and can't find anything cut or noticable. We are going to the vet asap in the am and I was wondering what it could've caused it to bleed like that. We are going to keep an eye on him but I am a really nervous mom so I need some answers if possible...

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Barb,

Can you see any cut or slit in his pad? Is the pad rough like he scraped it and is it still bleeding now? Did you check between his toes to see if he had a burr or something sticking into him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No cuts or scrapes I can see. It sin't bleeding much that I can see, but it still hurts him when I touch it but he's putting weight on it.
He's an indoor cat so no burrs, or anything i can see.. I hate it when my babies get sick or hurt, I feel so helpless...

liman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you're taking him to the vet tomorrow. Keep an eye on him if it gets worse you may want to go to the emergency clinic. I hope everything is all right.

Is your kitty an indoor or outdoor cat. It's possible that he just step on something sharp and that is what caused it to bleed. Also it's a good idea to get it checked to make sure nothing is stuck in it. Good luck tomorrow. I wish I could have offered better help.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes all my cats are indoor only. Thanks for helping me feel a little better, like I said, I am a nervous mom and I worry about my babies. They are my children and I'd die if anything happened to them. they are my life.
Hissy, I appreciate your help as well. I'm sorry if I sound like a dork, I am just nervous.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Something you can try if Twig is tolerent, is flip him over on his back and (gently flip) and have hubby hold him. Using the palm of your hand pass your hand over his pads one by one without touching them. What you are looking for is a source of heat. If you feel the heat radiating up in a certain spot, take some hydrogen peroxide on a cotton ball and dab the area. If there is a hole or a slit, the solution will bubble and fizz and you will see the problem. Other than that I am out of ideas Barb, it could be anything from a staple to anything sharp he could of found on the floor in some obscure corner......

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
YOu can use peroxide? I didn't want to use that cause I didn't know if that would be toxic or not. I will try that and let you know..
no. no heat and it's not bleeding anymore. I am still going to take him to the vet to make sure he is ok though. I'll let you know how that turns out after I get back. Maryanne, thank you so very much for all your help. You helped a worried dork of a kitty mommy rest a little easier....
I'm still on edge but not as freaked..

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No problem Barb. If it isn't actively bleeding right now, then I would just try and relax. It doesn't sound like it really is anything to worry about. But if you feel better taking him to the vet and it will ease his mind, then do so.
The peroxide is not toxic unless you pour it down his throat.
Basically the peroxide will burn any exposed tissue which is why it bubbles and allows you to see the tiniest entrance wound. I have used it in the past to find similiar entry holes made by pieces of wire, when Bravo our shop cat would jump on Mike's radio bench and get pieces of wire in his paw. We just yanked the pieces out and put antibiotic cream on his pads. We had strict orders from our vet on the subject of our feral Bravo. No vet visit unless an absolute emergency! You see, he trashed the surgical room when I took him in to be neutered!

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Sounds like something I'd have expected from Twig but he's a big chicken and behaves like a coward! LOL!

liman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So how's your liitle fellow? What did the vet say?

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My bad. I have been so busy today it isn't even funny.
The vet said that he didn't find anything cut or scrape wise but that we need to keep an eye on it just to be sure it doesn't get infected as it might have been a puncture that we didn't see. Twig also got his shots for the year and he wasn't at all happy about that. He was hissing and growling like he was all tough but when the vet tried to pet him, he'd hide his head in the crook of S/O's arm. And talk about shaking! goofy cat!!! But you were all right, he was ok and I was over reacting. I just can't help it. I love them all so much and worry when they are hurt in any way...
Thanks again everyone for all your help~~

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We love over-reaction! It's much better than something actually being wrong!!! We love over-reaction! It means you care so much!!!

So glad even the Vet couldn't find anything.

:tounge2:

kevin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you have ruled out an object in the skin, look for information and ask your vet on 'rodent ulcer' (a/k/a Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex) which usually gives lesions on the side of the mouth but also can cause paws to bleed and sometimes deform with growths. It's rare, but my little one sleeping on the chair behind me at this moment has that problem. It is treated with regular prednisone and occasional injections. More information here:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body...granuloma.html

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No I didn't ask him about this. Twig's paw is doing great and I haven't seen any more blood.. I will bookmark this just in case though. Thanks!