Cats out of control because we're home

nycats

Mother of 3 cats & fosters
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know if this is happening to your cats too, but my cats have become so needy.
I think it's because I'm home all day... Just wanted to share my experience and see if anyone else is experiencing something similar:

Aloo - She had always been food obsessed, but now she harasses me for meals all day. She sits in front of me and stares, and if I don't do anything, she knocks everything off the table, one by one, and looks at me right after she drops the item. She also bites my hair if I'm sleeping. I really don't know how to curve this behavior. I do give her treats during the day, but I can't feed her every time she wants to eat!!! - any suggestions appreciated!

Purrsy - He wants to play or wants treats all the time and meows to get my attention. Luckily, he does not annoy or harass me, but he's so damn cute and sad sounding that I am compelled to do what he wants. The only problem is, I can't really tell what he wants. I take my best guess.

Billi - He's the best and doesn't do much wrong except being super picky and suspicious about food and treats.

Mostly my biggest headache is Aloo. She is just so annoying. I started calling her Satan when she does her thing.

My friend J JessicasFerals also has problems with needier cats. One of her cats require extended butt pat sessions daily, then the other cat digs at her butt when she's on the couch to try to get her to play with him, and when she starts playing, the 3rd cat thinks it's time for her to get rough pets.

Have your cats gotten needier because your are staying home? I hope everyone is staying safe and sane from cats XD

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cats have gotten needier, howling constantly for food and waking us up. But Olive has also stopped throwing up so much so she is somewhat less stressed. Try not to give in, it feeds the behavior.

Also, Amazon Prime has Cat TV which gives us some peace at times.

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got one cat. Minish has always demanded food in between her meal unless she's given 2x her daily need. Since I'm home demands increased.
Generally I try not to ignore her demands for attention because it will make her feel more confident and she doesn't need to resort to extreme measures to get attention.
I ended up being led to the kitchen a lot. I react the same way as I did before. Saying sweet things or directing to play instead. Mostly she's satisfied with the attention.
And who am I to be annoyed! After all, I usually end up in the kitchen contemplating towards the depths of the fridge now stacked full..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nycats

Adult Cat
Purraise
Our cats have gotten needier, howling constantly for food and waking us up. But Olive has also stopped throwing up so much so she is somewhat less stressed. Try not to give in, it feeds the behavior.

Also, Amazon Prime has Cat TV which gives us some peace at times.
Oh no, howling! So it's not just my cats that got needier. It's great though that your Olive stopped throwing up. My cats used to puke a lot, and it was really stressful. Now they're puking a lot less, but they still puke. Sigh.

I have tried not to give in all her life, but Aloo does not give up or ease up. It's just gotten worse because I'm home to receive her harassment any time of the day. Ughhhhhhhh. I lock her out of the room in the morning, then sometimes she goes and destroy tissue paper in anger -_-

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nycats

Adult Cat
Purraise
I got one cat. Minish has always demanded food in between her meal unless she's given 2x her daily need. Since I'm home demands increased.
Generally I try not to ignore her demands for attention because it will make her feel more confident and she doesn't need to resort to extreme measures to get attention.
I ended up being led to the kitchen a lot. I react the same way as I did before. Saying sweet things or directing to play instead. Mostly she's satisfied with the attention.
And who am I to be annoyed! After all, I usually end up in the kitchen contemplating towards the depths of the fridge now stacked full..
See, my cat wants food a little bit of food, throughout the day, when she wants it. And she gets bored of things quickly, so she wants what she wants, not that old stuff you fed me last week. So I just cannot give in to her outrageous demands. I do not negotiate with terrorists.

So just out of curiosity, what are those extreme measures? LOL.

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As far nothing more than walking on my bladder as I'm asleep, clawing the corner of my favorite couch under the throw I have put for couch protection, trying to eat my food and noisy attempts of trash diving. but I can imagine. When minish was kitten she concentrated really hard on curtains. So why not,she may try since she saw how much I don't want that to happen. Notoriously practical minded my angel..
I also feed minish little amounts dividing her total need to 3-5 bits. But if the bits were divided more, she has this look and vocalization saying "Are you kidding me?,!"
Sometimes she leaves 3 kibbles, exactly 3,just in case I decide to put her in a more aggressive diet :)

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since COVID, im spending a lot more time with my boys (cats). I think greg and arnold are starting to see me as "one of them". Both of them seem to be interacting with me more.

20200510_112520.jpg

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep but not with me, My hubby. He's started to follow him everywhere and gives him cuddles. I think they are enjoying having us at home to wait on them.