Cats Not Eating?

marvelousmarty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys. So I suspect there might be up to 3 or 4 cats hanging around my yard. I saw a brownish/grey tabby kitten, maybe 4-6 months old days ago, yesterday my grandma saw a grey and white cat, a couple streets away someone else is feeding an adult tuxedo, and a few times I've seen an adult brown tabby (I believe this is someone's cat).

Due to the fact that I've only seen one of these cat on multiple occasions, I don't know how often or when any of these cats will show up, so I've been setting wet cat food out after we actually see one. However, none of the food actually gets eaten. Twice I've seen paw prints around the bowl, but none of the food is missing. I know this because I take photos of the bowl after I set it out, so I know if something is moved around or if any of the food is gone. I also know it's not my dog's paw prints because there are no claw marks in the prints, so it absolutely has to be a cat.

Is there any sort of reason or explanation as to why no food gets eaten? At least one cat is actually showing interest, but why aren't they eating? Should I try dry cat food? I've been using a cheap generic brand of wet food, so should I try a higher quality brand? Should I try scraps of human food to entice them to eat (of course I just mean left over meat like chicken or beef, and I'll rinse any sauce or seasoning off so no cats get sick)?

I've cared for a family of 3 ferals in October 2018 (I dropped them off at the shelter I volunteer at) and used this generic food and they always ate it, so I just don't know what's going on. I'm really worried since I live in upstate NY and it's absolutely freezing and snowy where I am. Any tips will be greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance for any help!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have a semi-feral in my neighbor's back yard that will absolutely NOT touch anything but dried - not even human chicken or turkey. Try dried and see if that makes a difference. Also, dried can be left out longer than wet before it spoils.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marvelousmarty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a semi-feral in my neighbor's back yard that will absolutely NOT touch anything but dried - not even human chicken or turkey. Try dried and see if that makes a difference. Also, dried can be left out longer than wet before it spoils.
Thank you! I've been sticking with wet since I thought the smell would be more attracting to them, but I'll give dry a shot and see if that does anything.