Cat’s Meow Higher Pitched

brdwybaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any idea why my cat’s meow would suddenly sound higher pitched than normal? I first noticed it late Thursday night. She's eating and drinking normally, grooming, playing and taking an interest in her normal activities, everything normal. No other signs of anything going on. But when she meows it sounds much higher pitched and occasionally raspy. She does have a tendency to swallow her dry food whole, but if something were lodged, I think she would act like she was in more discomfort. She seems fine. Thanks!

P.S. - Please reply cautiously and try not to scare me. I’m a high strung cat mama! :)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
P.S. - Please reply cautiously and try not to scare me. I’m a high strung cat mama! :)
Don't worry, no one meant to scare you here. Since you said she is acting normal and no other signs or symptoms of anything abnormal I would continue to monitor her as you're doing. Just another suggestion, you may want to offer her some wet canned food which may be easier for her to swallow and digest. If you notice any changes by all means give your vet a call. Good luck!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Tis the season of kitty-colds. Usually nothing to fuss over but it can make them sound a bit different. She could have caught it through an open window or off your hands or clothes. They can even lightly catch some human colds (rare but especially COVID People with COVID-19 can infect and sicken cats and dogs by cuddling them: study).

It could also be seasonal allergies 🐱

I would also suggest some wet food added to the diet. Even just one can a day is super helpful for health.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are there cats who visit her? Mine were always happy to pick up other cats' words and 'accents'.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brdwybaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, everyone! Thanks so much for all your replies.

To answer some of the above questions, my kitty DOES get wet food included in her diet daily. No one in the household is sick or has been in recent months. I’m a germaphobe and we take showers as soon as we get home, so there’s little chance of clothing transfer or anything. No other cats are ever around her, and the only exposure she has to the outdoors is the screen door to the apartment balcony. I was unaware that cats could have seasonal allergies. She sounds hoarse, but acts fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brdwybaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Could stress be a factor? I’ve personally been dealing with some very severe emotional trauma and my cat is very sensitive to my feelings.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I technically don't know if stress can be a factor but what I do know is that cats are very tuned into our feelings or at least most of the cats I've lived with have been. Our present cat picks up on everything especially when I'm rushing to get ready and out of the house or anxious about something.

Last edited:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
On the other hand it is possible for cats to get tonsilitis and need antibiotics. One of mine had multiple episodes when she was young and her only sign was her voice getting raspy.