Cats meat diet

crazycatlady19

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been giving my cats cooked beef for a while and they love it but when I tried mixing in rabbit organs, they refused to eat. I dont know if they are picky or just dont like the smell. Is it better to just keep feeding them the beef without organs, or does that not provide enough nutrition?

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats simply don't like organs, especially liver.
If the total amount of cooked meat (or any protein really) is less than 15% of the total amount you feed your cats/kittens, then you do not need to worry about balancing. If however the total amount exceeds 15%, then you need to provide all the components of raw feeding.
Please read the many articles in our Raw and Home Cooked Cat Food so you make sure you're feeding your cats all the nutrition you need. This is especially important for kittens.

• Purraise
Reactions: ldg

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What are you giving besides beef?  Is it a balanced recipe?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is a link to the Home Cooked Cat Food Resources thread: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/264153/home-cooked-cat-food-resources

Any cooked meats need to be supplemented due to the loss of nutrients. It is VERY important that you include ALL of the water if you poach it, or all of the pan drippings if you bake it, because those contain valuable nutrition.

Here is a thread with balanced recipes (click on the link mschauer provides at the end of a number of her posts as well): http://www.thecatsite.com/t/263751/cooked-recipes-thread

But there are supplements you can add to just meat to make them complete and balanced. Makes it very easy! I know a number of cats enjoying the U-stew (link is in the resources thread).

But the bottom line in answer t your question is no, meat - not even raw - does not provide all the nutrition cats need. Think of a mouse or rabbit - bones, organs, skin, fat, muscles, heart... they need the vitamins and minerals they would get from eating all of those things, not just the muscles. :)