Cat's Manure Stuck Inside Butt/Intestines - Need Help

sil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Whats the name of the vet procedure that evacuates a cat's stuck manure from inside its butt?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
But please don't try doing an enema on your cat by yourself. You can also ask the vet about trying a suppository first. Normally, a very small sliver of a human baby suppository is what is generally used. The vet may be willing to advise you on how to use a suppository at home, but if an enema is needed the vet should do it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK even though I do appreciate everyone's contributions of answers to my issue I did however ask SPECIFICALLY for the name of the procedure a vet undergoes to evacuate fecal matter from a cat. Since no one has answered my question the issue remains unsolved.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK even though I do appreciate everyone's contributions of answers to my issue I did however ask SPECIFICALLY for the name of the procedure a vet undergoes to evacuate fecal matter from a cat. Since no one has answered my question the issue remains unsolved.
If you are not talking about an 'enema' then, I guess you are referring to 'manual removal'/'manual extraction' or, in very severe cases 'manual de-obstipation'? Both of which require anesthesia and typically intubation as well, and only done when enemas are unsuccessful.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

sil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
guess you are referring to 'manual removal'/'manual extraction' or, in very severe cases 'manual de-obstipation'? Both of which require anesthesia and typically intubation as well, and only done when enemas are unsuccessful.
Nope! Thats not it! When I went to the vet she NEVER used any anesthesia or intubation whatsoever. All she used was her gloved finger to insert in my cat's anus to clean out fecal matter.

Looks like my question still remains unanswered.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK...I just went through 8 articles written by vets, and every one of them referenced "manual fecal extraction." No other name given. Sorry, I did try for you.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nope! Thats not it! When I went to the vet she NEVER used any anesthesia or intubation whatsoever. All she used was her gloved finger to insert in my cat's anus to clean out fecal matter.

Looks like my question still remains unanswered.

The procedure itself is just called deopsitation. Anesthesia and intubation may not be needed if the fecal impaction is just inside the rectum and not severe.

Why not ask your vet what the name of the procedure is?