cats love water?

beach bum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Summerkid710

Is there any way to teach middle age cats to drink from a water bowl?
This may sound unkind, but we suspect that if a cat had only one source of water, that is, your water bowl, preferably nearby its food bowl, it would soon drink from the bowl.

summerkid710

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not running the fountain part of the bowl anymore -- which sits just next to the food dishes. If I don't turn the water on from the faucet, they just won't drink. I don't think they ever learned how to drink from the bowl -- I've always had a leaky faucet wherever I have lived.

My third kitty has drinks from the bowl exclusively and won't drink from the tap at all. (Of course, she just started peeing in the sink
, which is a separate thread, we're going to the vet to have that checked out).

tikkajamesed321

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 3 cats, Mummy, Daddy and Baby Ed

Mummy and Daddy hate water they will drink out of taps and even my bath which is annoying but Ed loves the stuff... He has to be kept away from any bath otherwise he will jump in for a swim and not get stressed or worried... I wonder where he gets it from!! I have bad plumbing in my house and sometimes the taps will run little amounts of water, time and time again I have come home to him sat in the sink in a few cm's of water drinking and splashing about having a ball... I think I manage to get the most mental pets ever :) but I do love them all to bits :) 

shadyferret

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The Highlander (no idea if that's an official breed yet since it's a relatively new breed, but Animal Planet covered it in Cats 101) loves water and just like the Turkish Van, it will join you in a bath or shower. The Maine Coon is supposed to like water, but I don't know any and I don't know how much they like it.

faecat13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not all cats hate water, but most only use it for drinking. My 5 year old will take showers with me and play in the in toilet, splashing the water. And my new kitten plays in her water bowl, splish splash. It really depends on your cat. and cats have webbed feet for a reason, you know? But just think of your cat as special and enjoy the fact that there is no fear around water.