Cats Love Their New Shiny Water Fountain! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Caesar likes to play with water, but only the small stainless steel bowl that I have upstairs in one of the bathrooms. He nudges the bowl with his nose to try to get the water to move. He doesn't do this with the fountain, probably because a) its way to heavy to move and b) the water is already moving for him. It depends on the cat. I do know there are many that like to dip their feet in or put their toys in the water. My boyfriend's cat does this, and, of course, its always right after she gets out of the litter box. He swears she's trying to clean her feet off. 

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hmm. That is what I am hoping, that the fact that the water is already moving will stop Pooper from splashing. She really gets into it and I think it is the noise she likes. But you just never know with cats.

She does like to drown her toys and put hair ties in the water bowl (I can't figure out how she keeps getting my hair ties!), but I can deal with that. It's the constant sloshing of water everywhere that gets me. I guess I won't know how she will react till I give it a try!

Thanks for the input, GoHolistic, jcat, and blackcat1416.

Last edited:

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes, they are very quiet! I'm glad you (and the cats) are happy so far.

Oh no! I can't believe the pump stopped working on the Raindrop model after only two days! I'm glad you were able to return it. You know, I think in the manufacturing process of these pumps, some of them just turn out to be duds, and it's all a matter of whether or not you're the lucky person to get one. 
  I hope you have better luck with the Big Max.
Thanks. Yes, I think so too re. some fountains being duds, like anything else that is mass produced. Looking forward to seeing the Big Max in action.

julia34345

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I used to have a plastic bowl (for my cat) but we changed it to metal bowls because the vet said it was better?

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
How funny about all your kitties playing in the water!  None of mine do that.  I put a Big Max in the cat room, and it's a hit.  Before, I had a plastic fountain at one side of the room and a ceramic bowl of water at the other side.  Both were used.  Now I've noticed the ceramic bowl has stayed full since the Big Max went in--I guess the kitties have voted and the Big Max wins!  :-)

Plus it's a winner with me because it's so QUIET.  The other fountain had a little water wheel on the top which was supposed to keep the water be more aerated (or something, I don't remember) but the noise drove me insane....

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

Would love to see more product reviews of these in our Reviews section! We're going to start offering monthly perks for reviews and December is included, so whenever you get a chance to add a review, good or bad - 

[product="19143"]Pioneer Fountain Big Max Stainless Steel​[/product]  
I just added a review.  

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had the stainless steel Drink Well 360 now for about 9 months and my cats love it. My oldster loves to drink the 'stream' and it doe encourage him to drink more. The other doesn't care for the stream and drinks out of the base. It can be a little 'loud'. I did turn it down a bit I couldn't get used to the sound of running water. It is a

'pain' to take the pump apart and clean the thing, but I found if I dump it every other day I can wait and clean it once a week. What we do for our cats!!!

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

So I decided to upgrade to the Pioneer Pet Big Max Premium Stainless Steel Water Fountain, and all three cats love it. Even Caesar, who used to be a diehard faucet drinker, likes to drink from this. Maybe it's something about the wider bowl. It is super quiet (although the memory foam bath mat that I put underneath helps absorb a lot of the sound) and super easy to clean (only two tiers with minimal nooks and crannies). The reviews on Amazon didn't excite me, but I decided to take a chance. I think the trick is to keep it clean, and that includes cleaning the motor. I wonder if a lot of the bad reviews about the motor dying were because people weren't cleaning it properly and/or frequently enough.

Sorry, I didn't think to get an action shot of the cats actually drinking from it! But here's the fountain by itself:
How much water does it hold? I have thought about chnaging to another fountain. On that is easier to clean also. But they don't seem to hold very much water. With 6 cats. i am always filling up the large resevoir on the Drinkwell. And this one doesn have the stream of water. :( Looks like it runs down the side.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

How much water does it hold? I have thought about chnaging to another fountain. On that is easier to clean also. But they don't seem to hold very much water. With 6 cats. i am always filling up the large resevoir on the Drinkwell. And this one doesn have the stream of water. :( Looks like it runs down the side.
Well, in the product specifications from the manufacturer (see: http://www.pioneerpet.com/product/6023-raindropdrinking-fountain-stainless-steel-60-oz-5/), it says 128 oz., which I believe is one gallon. But I just cleaned the fountain last night (it is super easy to clean, by the way) and filled the basin with water from a gallon jug and it didn't take the whole gallon. There is no reservoir, just the basin, so this could be a problem if away from home for too long with multiple cats. I have three cats and the basin starts to get low after about 4 days maybe. 

And, no, this one does not have a stream of water. I just runs down the side of the top level. Sebastian liked the stream of water from a previous Drinkwell, but he is fine drinking from the large basin on this fountain. I found that they just like the water to be moving.

angelsmom1988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I posted a 5-star review on this product.  My cat's water intake increased when we switched to the stainless steel from a plastic fountain.  Not sure if the plastic transferred a taste to the water or if the design of the plastic fountain didn't aerate the water enough.  In any case, the fountain has been in use for about five years. Great product and well worth paying a little more when purchased.