Cats Keep Wanting In And Out Of The House?

mtndewluvr93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two cats. A boy and a girl. They're about 2 years old, I remember getting them in 2015/16 but my sister says they're about one year old. I have a short term memory so I don't really remember but they're young cats. They're really close to each other. We got them together when they were babies and I need they still needed their mom. They're really friendly, laid back, and never bite or scratch. They act like dogs. We had them indoor kittens til about recently we moved in this house in Dec like last year or something and we let down out for the first time. Well the problem is they want outside starting from morning all the way til like 5 in the morning the next day. The boy or girl would go out and one will come in or they'll go out together and come in just to eat and want back outside. It's like never ending back and forth and back forth. It's kinda annoying. Do you know why they are doing this? I'm new to this site too. I just signed up to ask this question cause I'm not sure. My boy is a maine coon and the girl looks like a tabby. If I don't let him out he starts going crazy and runs around goes into the blinds and looks into the windows and starts scratching and pulling out the blinds this is usually at night time when he goes crazy. So what do you think?

tee-tee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Those sound kind of like "neighborhood" cats you got there. They're two friends from the neighborhood playing together.

The fact that they're choosing to come you suggests that they trust you and feel safe around you.

I had a similar cat when I lived with my parents (Boots), years ago. She "lived" with us, but she was a garage cat. My dad pampered her so well. He would cook her food every morning and serve it to her on a dish, she had her own little kitty house with blankets and warmers and a light.

She would go out everyday and explore and roam the neighborhood and some times she would just hang out at the house all day.

I'm also assuming your cats have all their claws? If not, then you should definitely keep them off the streets because they won't be able to defend themselves.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I go through the same thing with two of mine, but please try to keep them inside if at all possible. I have buried too many because of the dangers outside, from cars to big dogs. If at all possible install a kennel or a 'cage' out one of your windows, they would be safe and still get the fresh air. Cats are like toddlers, they really don't understand what is good for them. It's kinda funny, my 'inside' cats want in /out all the time, the ones that started outside and spent the first part of their lives outside and are in now, could care less about going out, they know a good thing !

Emy-senpai

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Those sound kind of like "neighborhood" cats you got there. They're two friends from the neighborhood playing together.

The fact that they're choosing to come you suggests that they trust you and feel safe around you.

I had a similar cat when I lived with my parents (Boots), years ago. She "lived" with us, but she was a garage cat. My dad pampered her so well. He would cook her food every morning and serve it to her on a dish, she had her own little kitty house with blankets and warmers and a light.

She would go out everyday and explore and roam the neighborhood and some times she would just hang out at the house all day.

I'm also assuming your cats have all their claws? If not, then you should definitely keep them off the streets because they won't be able to defend themselves.
Hi. I'm new in here. The same is happening to me and my housemates. A neighbour's cat took a liking in me and she now comes over often. At first we weren't if she was a stray but found out a neighbour took her in a year ago. She apparently kept coming to the house where I now live, last year. This coincides with the neughbour taking her in and all. The lady has another cat. So there might a territory issue and she might feel more comfortable at my house as we don't have a cat. She is microchipped to a house on the street but we think she was left behind and the said neighbour then took her in when she was out and begging to be let in.

She is an outdoor cat. Won't stay in all day unless it is raining outside. We are not too sure about her litter training and all but let her out often as it seems to be where she does her business. Our neighbour doesn't mind us "sharing" her.
I have always wanted a cat so am ecstatic! My housemates are also enjoying her. I believe to be between 1-2 years old. Gorgeous black cat. But very independent. Wants what she wants when she wants it.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
So this is your neighbors cat, not yours? Cat needs to learn that she can only be inside,not both. Reminds me of a black kitten I rescued at night. They are hard to spot! Car can easily run over him/her. Where I live there are also eagles that will take small cats. A friend of mine told me once that she opened the door in the morning and found pieces scattered around the yard. Wild animal or dog. The cat should automatically know how to use the litter box but it would help if she could use it

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would suggest keeping them indoors (especially at night when cars are less likely to see them.) If you must let them out I suggest kitty harness or cat proof patio. Failing that only letting them out during the same time of each day and with supervision.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two cats. A boy and a girl. They're about 2 years old, I remember getting them in 2015/16 but my sister says they're about one year old. I have a short term memory so I don't really remember but they're young cats. They're really close to each other. We got them together when they were babies and I need they still needed their mom. They're really friendly, laid back, and never bite or scratch. They act like dogs. We had them indoor kittens til about recently we moved in this house in Dec like last year or something and we let down out for the first time. Well the problem is they want outside starting from morning all the way til like 5 in the morning the next day. The boy or girl would go out and one will come in or they'll go out together and come in just to eat and want back outside. It's like never ending back and forth and back forth. It's kinda annoying. Do you know why they are doing this? I'm new to this site too. I just signed up to ask this question cause I'm not sure. My boy is a maine coon and the girl looks like a tabby. If I don't let him out he starts going crazy and runs around goes into the blinds and looks into the windows and starts scratching and pulling out the blinds this is usually at night time when he goes crazy. So what do you think?
Have they been fixed?