Cats in the bed!

DaniCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I need advice…

My two Balinese babies are beloved family. They are two years old- boy and girl and spoiled rotten from the second we Iaid eyes on them! They love sleeping with my husband and I every night. For the past couple months however, our little girl Luna is waking up at 4:00am demanding to be fed. Sometimes it’s even earlier.

She is RELENTLESS- jumping on and off the bed, meowing loudly, walking on our heads, pawing at our faces, etc. Then she wakes her brother up and he starts causing a ruckus as well. We tried a few times to just ignore them but they continue for hours! We also tried being stern and saying no while removing them from the bed but nothing works so I ended up feeding them one day and then it just became a thing.

My husband runs his own business and works long hours and needs his sleep. I’ve been dealing with a chronic immune condition and sound sleep is imperative. We have discussed kicking them out of our bedroom at night and keeping them in a separate area of the house, but I am having a hard time implementing this boundary because the thought of it breaks my heart as they are so accustomed to sleeping with us. And just closing the bedroom door wouldn’t be enough because they are stinkers and very vocal!

I do think that keeping our bedroom off limits is a good idea though because I have also started to develop an allergy. They are long haired and their fur is everywhere. I have to strip and wash our entire bedding (duvet included) once a week because their hair and dander is everywhere and affects me.

Can other owners please way in on this? I feel TERRIBLE for even considering this! Do your cats sleep with you and/or have access to your bedroom? Will they adjust to this boundary? I take responsibility for spoiling them and not setting boundaries early on. I feel it is important for our health and peace of mind though! Please feel free to share your experience!

Attachments

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our cats are blocked from our room while sleeping. Our current cats have had this rule since day 1 but previous cats had to learn it when they were probably a few years old. One of the cats was a siamese mix and let me tell you, he was unhappy. He would meow loudly for an hour straight. For that we used some noise canceling headphones and eventually he learned that this was just how it was going to be. Before bed, while relaxing, we always have some "family" time in bed though. Cuddles in bed are a favorite. But then when it's time for sleep, the cats go out and the door is shut. It's definitely possible to get the cats to adjust to it. And it might not be bad for you either - sometimes on the weekend I'll stay in bed a little longer just for some cat cuddles in bed. Never a bad thing for some relaxation time!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DaniCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is very helpful and comforting. Thanks for the advice and reassurance! Oh and I know all about those chatty Siamese stinkers!! (Balinese are long haired Siamese) They are amazing though!!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First off, beautiful kitties. :catlove:

About them, particularly Luna, waking you at night, maybe something in this TCS article might be helpful:
How To Stop My Cat From Waking Me Up At Night (step-by-step Plan) - TheCatSite Articles

Since it's just started in the last couple months, wondering if anything changed around that time. Same food? Same routine? Any other change in Luna's behaviour?

If she really is just hungry at 4 AM, you could look into a timed feeder that would open at that time, so she'd get food, and you wouldn't have to get up.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I leave out a bit of dry food at night so that my cat can get breakfast at 4am. Cats naturally wake around that time and it’s normal for them to want something to eat. They will eventually stop causing a ruckus if you are consistent about keeping your door closed, but honestly, this could take weeks.

They are long haired and their fur is everywhere.
Brush before bed. Also, sticky rollers are your friend. 👍

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
As much as we love our cats and consider them family, we still must take care of our own needs, and that includes getting restful sleep. In your circumstances, I would shut them out of your room and if they fuss too much, start confining them to a different part of the house. They will adjust and will cuddle with one another.

DaniCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I will take a look. So it’s actually my fault because I had been dealing with a debilitating injury that would wake me up in agony at 3-4am every night. I’d start to stir and sometimes have to get up and stretch, readjust pillows, etc. This is when she started to wake up. It only happened for a couple weeks where I would wake at this time but she has continued the pattern! I would use a feeder but she doesn’t touch dry food! My boy loves it.

DaniCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I leave out a bit of dry food at night so that my cat can get breakfast at 4am. Cats naturally wake around that time and it’s normal for them to want something to eat. They will eventually stop causing a ruckus if you are consistent about keeping your door closed, but honestly, this could take weeks.

Brush before bed. Also, sticky rollers are your friend. 👍
Oh yes!! We buy them in bulk. 🤣

DaniCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do leave dry food out but Luna won’t touch it. Only my boy. Picky babies! Thank you!

DaniCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As much as we love our cats and consider them family, we still must take care of our own needs, and that includes getting restful sleep. In your circumstances, I would shut them out of your room and if they fuss too much, start confining them to a different part of the house. They will adjust and will cuddle with one another.
You are very right! I was never good at setting boundaries and prioritizing my needs. Time to start. Thanks!

DaniCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First off, beautiful kitties. :catlove:

About them, particularly Luna, waking you at night, maybe something in this TCS article might be helpful:
How To Stop My Cat From Waking Me Up At Night (step-by-step Plan) - TheCatSite Articles

Since it's just started in the last couple months, wondering if anything changed around that time. Same food? Same routine? Any other change in Luna's behaviour?

If she really is just hungry at 4 AM, you could look into a timed feeder that would open at that time, so she'd get food, and you wouldn't have to get up.
Thank you! I will take a look. So it’s actually my fault because I had been dealing with a debilitating injury that would wake me up in agony at 3-4am every night. I’d start to stir and sometimes have to get up and stretch, readjust pillows, etc. This is when she started to wake up. It only happened for a couple weeks where I would wake at this time but she has continued the pattern! I would use a feeder but she doesn’t touch dry food! My boy loves it.

DaniCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I will take a look. So it’s actually my fault because I had been dealing with a debilitating injury that would wake me up in agony at 3-4am every night. I’d start to stir and sometimes have to get up and stretch, readjust pillows, etc. This is when she started to wake up. It only happened for a couple days where I would wake at this time but she has continued the pattern! I would use a feeder but she doesn’t touch dry food! My boy loves it.

DaniCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I will take a look. So it’s actually my fault because I had been dealing with a debilitating injury that would wake me up in agony at 3-4am every night. I’d start to stir and sometimes have to get up and stretch, readjust pillows, etc. This is when she started to wake up. It only happened for a couple nights where I would wake at this time but she has continued the pattern! I would use a feeder but she doesn’t touch dry food! My boy loves it.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have found it doesn't take much to get them used to something. If you were feeding at 4 AM she now thinks 4 AM is when she can get food (or your attentione). If you're patient you can maybe untrain her by ignoring her. Is it easy, heck no. My Cricket was meowing at me beside the bed this morning around 5 AM. I ignored her, so she jumped up on the nightstand. I ignored her some more so she jumped on the bed and meowed right in my ear. It's just attention she wants I think. Your kitties are gorgeous.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Two of my three cats and I lived in a studio-type place for a few years, and their night time activity drove me up a wall! (So did the adorable cat collars we were gifted that had little bells on them. That was a big fat no after 10 minutes!)
My cats are not allowed in my room when I'm sleeping, and I shut the entire upstairs off because Sarah took to yowling by my door around the same time as yours get going. They have a room that is "theirs" that they spend the night in, and it has plenty of cozy spots, up high spots, and cat trees. They have free run of the house during the day (aside, again, from my room).
I feel guilty for it, but like you I can only be woke up at 4AM for so long. It was getting to the point I was waking up for the day angry at them for being cats, and that's not good at all. I compromise, and any time I lay down in the afternoon, all are welcome to join me!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hope your injury is getting better, so that once you break Miss Luna's new habit, you'll be able to get a full night's sleep.

Wonder if the time going ahead an hour will help at all, since 4 am will suddenly be 5 am.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Many people do this and it's more than fine. They've even adopted older cats and adjusted them to it.

You might also find it helpful to have some air purifiers in your home. They've been a great help to us. Some members discussed different models here: Air Purifier Recommendations for Litter Room?

ill lastly mention, if you don't already, having a HEPA filter on your vacuum is super helpful.

DaniCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have found it doesn't take much to get them used to something. If you were feeding at 4 AM she now thinks 4 AM is when she can get food (or your attentione). If you're patient you can maybe untrain her by ignoring her. Is it easy, heck no. My Cricket was meowing at me beside the bed this morning around 5 AM. I ignored her, so she jumped up on the nightstand. I ignored her some more so she jumped on the bed and meowed right in my ear. It's just attention she wants I think. Your kitties are gorgeous.
Aw thank you. You are exactly right. I will give it a few days to see if I can retrain her. Today I stayed in bed until six but like I said she was relentless.

DaniCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Many people do this and it's more than fine. They've even adopted older cats and adjusted them to it.

You might also find it helpful to have some air purifiers in your home. They've been a great help to us. Some members discussed different models here: Air Purifier Recommendations for Litter Room?

ill lastly mention, if you don't already, having a HEPA filter on your vacuum is super helpful.
Yes, I have a few air purifiers and they definitely help! I’m looking for another one actually so will check out this link. And you just reminded me that I need to change/clean the HEPA filter on my vacuum. Thank you!

DaniCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hope your injury is getting better, so that once you break Miss Luna's new habit, you'll be able to get a full night's sleep.

Wonder if the time going ahead an hour will help at all, since 4 am will suddenly be 5 am.
Haha yes I’ve been waiting for daylight savings and hoping for that!!! Thanks so much. ☺🙏🏼