Cats home safe, but SO ANGRY!

msbedelia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong section. Feel free to move it.

I have depression as well as time management issues (and am busy with school and 2 jobs) and don't pull my weight in terms of keeping the house clean. For this reason my BF and I decided to get a maid service once a month even though it's not something we'd like to spend our money on.

Today was the second time they came. BF & I arrive home and find NO CATS. Usually, they greet us at the back door, but we thought maybe they were sleeping or something, and went looking for them. Not in the bed, not on the couch. Open some cat food, NO RESPONSE. No cats in our apartment at all.

I was shocked and so upset. I had TOLD them we had two cats who would try to get out the door, warned them specifically, and it's not like they hadn't been there once before! Nor can I imagine that we are the only household with small pets who try to get out. Also, not that I would have been "okay" with just one cat getting out, but I know that our tiny gray Gracie moves like a ninja and blends into her surroundings. How do you miss letting out the large, slower moving, black and white cat-cow that is our Squeaker Cat?

Thank God, the two were both in the very small foyer area of our apartment building. We didn't even have to find them- they came to our door when they heard us/smelled open cat food. But they could have easily gotten outside through the front door of the building, which is used by people delivering packages as well as neighbors, or hurt themselves in the basement (which has no door on it and which they had access to bc they were in the foyer). We live on a busy street. It is also snowing heavily today and the high temperature was 14F. I am so upset that they were exposed to so many potential dangers by a service I paid for, discussed my cats with, and trusted !!!!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm really sorry about that, how frightening to find them missing, and how disappointing to feel let down like that.  I tried a cleaning service once who barely thought it was their job to clean, let alone watch out for any pets!  

We have a cleaning service now.  Three of our cats come and go so I don't worry about them getting out when the cleaners are here.  But the other four cats are indoor only so on the mornings that the cleaner will be here, I shut them in their cat room.  That room doesn't get cleaned of course but the cats are safe.  Is there one room you could leave kitties in while the cleaners are there and just tell them to not clean that room?  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

msbedelia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, that is a possibility. I'm not sure I want to continue with these people, however. We will likely do that with whomever we hire next.

It's hard to know exactly how to move forward. I have already left an angry voicemail that I'm sure they will get tomorrow, in which I asked them to call me back.

As I'm sure other animal lovers like those on this site understand, animals in general are sacred to me. I can't imagine not being conscientious and caring toward them, or losing someone else's pet.

Last edited:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I understand what you're saying.  But some people just don't think that way.  :-(    

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Agree that some people just seem careless. Sorry you went through that. Glad the kitties are safe though.

Years ago, when we were selling our house, I posted signs in the house DO NOT LET THE CAT OUT! All but one Realtor was good about it. Coming home to find the kitty missing is scary.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OMG i'm so sorry you had to go through something like that! but i'm glad your kitties are safe and back home. the next person you decide to hire, make sure they understand and have EXPERIENCE with cleaning homes that have pets, and will have pets at home during the time of cleaning. That is very important. Definitely get your money back from the place you used because they were notified ahead of time that you had two cats, and decided to ignore this. If they did not want to deal with the cats, they should have told you before hand that they don't want to have that type of responsibility and not taken your money. that's just ridiculous. 

what @betsygee  said about keeping the cats to one room while the cleaners are there, and telling the cleaners not to even bother with that particular room would be a good idea. 

i lost my cat Charlie a couple days ago. Thank god he was just stuck in the closet, and he was missing for many like 5 mins, but that pain and confusion and stress is NOT pleasant. Good luck finding someone else...I definitely WOULD make an issue out of this. This is something you notified them of BEFORE them having done anything...

I know i would lose my ever loving mind and made someone definitely pay for it. lol. but that's just me. 

msbedelia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, guys. I called them and they were very apologetic and willing to refund the money, etc. Glad to have my kitties snuggling me in this cold weather!

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
At least you got your money back- free cleaning.

That's my biggest worry about being in an apartment complex- I worry Maintence would come in when I'm not home and leave the door open. I feel you!

msbedelia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Draco-

Yes, I was very glad they took the issue as seriously as I did and didn't give me s*** for wanting my money back, etc.

I guess I've gotten really lucky before now. Our maintenance guy (there's just one of him) comes in all the time when we're not home and is so good and careful with the cats (who try hard to "help" him ;) ). Our cat sitter is good with them, obviously. I guess I assumed everyone would be!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I am just reading this, & am sorry you had to go through that, but am glad they were okay, & didn't get out of the building.

I think what the others suggested is a good idea as well, about leaving them in a closed off room on the days someone comes.

Even just for the sake to not have them around any chemicals that may be being used. (& the smells being inhaled can be just as dangerous!)

I started my own cleaning service last April. I made sure to put "Natural Products, Pet Friendly" on my cards.

I wanted people to know that their pets would be safe, & liked w/ me!

If I were you, I would look for someone who offers the same.

I like having the pets around when I am cleaning, as long as they aren't getting in my way too much. I talk to them & give them love & attention

when I am there. 

One house I go to has a big , Irish Cream Golden Retriever. He is a big sweetie!!!  I love seeing him. If he stays by my side a little too much, while 

I'm trying to work, I just tell him to go lay down, & he does.

(He's so cute, he got a big new bed for Christmas, & when I was there, he was trying to pick it up w/ his mouth, as to show me, "See my new bed I got for Christmas!" 
)

crazycatlady248

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry you had to go through that, I had one of those moments before and it is.. Hard to even put into words. Hopefully your next cleaning lady will be a pet owner and respect your wishes to be careful with your little angels. Glad you got your money back!!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Wow, I am just reading this, & am sorry you had to go through that, but am glad they were okay, & didn't get out of the building.

I think what the others suggested is a good idea as well, about leaving them in a closed off room on the days someone comes.

Even just for the sake to not have them around any chemicals that may be being used. (& the smells being inhaled can be just as dangerous!)

I started my own cleaning service last April. I made sure to put "Natural Products, Pet Friendly" on my cards.

I wanted people to know that their pets would be safe, & liked w/ me!

If I were you, I would look for someone who offers the same.

I like having the pets around when I am cleaning, as long as they aren't getting in my way too much. I talk to them & give them love & attention

when I am there. 

One house I go to has a big , Irish Cream Golden Retriever. He is a big sweetie!!!  I love seeing him. If he stays by my side a little too much, while 

I'm trying to work, I just tell him to go lay down, & he does.

(He's so cute, he got a big new bed for Christmas, & when I was there, he was trying to pick it up w/ his mouth, as to show me, "See my new bed I got for Christmas!" 
)
*Edit:  An English Cream Golden Retriever, ...Not Irish.