Cat's Hiding After Being Stepped on :( Injured or Just Scared ??

julia123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was carrying a large box this afternoon and didn't see that my cat was asleep in a doorway.  I stepped on him pretty hard.  He screamed, bit my leg (he's so gentle and has never, ever bit anyone) and went running.  I found him in my office and felt his ribs for broken bones (I didn't see what part I stepped on, but it was soft).  Everything felt normal.  I stroked his head and he purred.  He let me pick him up and carry him around for a while, but when I put him down, he hid under my bed (which he's never done before).  I enticed him out by opening the door to our deck - he loves being outside - and he went outside of his own volition, walked around (normal gait, no limping), and went back inside after about 10 minutes of exploring.  Back to beneath the bed.  He's been there ever since (about 2 hours).

I'm really, really upset.  I was devastated and crying that I'd hurt him, but I'm worried about his behavior too.  Is he trying to tell me that he's injured in some way?  I was planning to take him to the vet by tomorrow afternoon if he hasn't come out/eaten anything, but maybe I'm overreacting.  My husband thinks that if he was really injured, he wouldn't have let me pick him up and carry him around, and he wouldn't have left the bedroom to go outside.  I don't want to overreact, and vets are expensive, but I certainly want to take him if he needs to go.  I DON'T want him in any kind of pain.

Also, how do I reassure him that I won't hurt him in that way again?  I feel like I've really scared him and I don't know how to convey to him that he's safe and loved.  

I'd love any advice on what to look for and/or a timeline, if possible.  Thank you!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Julia, welcome to TCS.

First, I'm so sorry that this happened.  I bet many of us here have done something similar - I know I have. Cats are notorious for playing footsies; being in the wrong place at the wrong time. If it happens on stairs my fiance call it their "Trip the Human" game.

I do think you should have your cat looked at by your vet.  Cats are also known for being able to hide their pain pretty well.  Hiding is usually a sign that something is amiss.  I'd bring him if it were me. I'd rather make sure than not know.

It is also possible he's a bit spooked of course - that could cause him to seek out somewhere safe for a while.  Maybe you could entice him with some special food he really loves; making that food = good things connection with him.  

FYI cats also purr to soothe themselves when not well.  I wouldn't take his purring as a sign that he's content and well.  I could be quite the opposite.

I hope this was helpful to you.  Let us know how everything turns out

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

julia123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for your response!  An update - my cat came downstairs a little while ago.  Totally normal behavior...jumping on the window sill to look outside, tapping my arm and jumping in my lap, purring and cuddling...I think he's all right!  I'm going to keep a very close eye on him.  If he doesn't eat or seems lethargic, I'm taking him straight to the vet!

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Julia and welcome to TCS.

It sounds like your baby was just startled and needed some space for a little while. I agree that it is still a good idea to take him to the vet if things seem off tomorrow.

I kicked one of my cats off the bed in my sleep when I was having a bad dream. The loud noise he made startled me awake. He ran and hid under my bed for the rest of the night. I could not get to him where he was hiding. I actually opened a can of wet food to lure him out to make sure he was not injured in the morning. I was so worried I called in sick to work and stayed home with him. Right after I called off work he jumped back up on the bed with me. He was back to normal after that. I felt horrible and he got extra treats. Sometimes these things happen no matter how much we try to avoid them. My cat still sleeps in the same place after this and it has not happened again.

Last edited:

julia123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm glad your cat was all right too!  My cat is all back to normal now - sleeping, eating, grooming, behavior in general.  As I'd hoped yesterday, I probably just stepped on the edge of his 'fat roll' and gave him quite a pinch.  We've both been fussing over him and I'll continue to keep a close eye to make sure there are no behavior changes.  He's due for a vet trip as well!

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad your baby is being normal again. He seems to have forgotten about what happened yesterday. You are doing a great job making sure everything is ok now.

julia123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Clean bill of health from vet!  :)