Cat's healthy, box is clean, can still pees on carpet

Jojothepogo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello:
I am at my wits end. My husband and I adopted a 10 year old kitty a year ago (she's 11). She has an amazing personality and I wouldn't trade her for the world, but she has destroyed spots of my carpet. I am experienced with kitties, so my first response was to take her to the vet. The first time I brought her in, no infection, but they assumed it was FIC (feline idiopathic cystitis), so we now have her anti-anxiety meds. Took her to the vet again...same conclusion. We clean the litter box daily. Unscented cat litter. She has 2 boxes. She is the only cat. The boxes are uncovered. We live in a small house, so we don't have a ton of reasonable places to put the cat box. One is in a very quiet place. The other is in a mostly quiet place. We notice that she only does this on the weekend and we think it's because my husband and I both work from home right now. We go hiking and such on the weekends. In fact, my husband and I came home from a hike this past Sunday and she howled like she wanted to play, we came downstairs to see what she was up to, she ran over to her usual naughty spot, and just peed. Like it was intentionally vindictive. We have a good carpet cleaner, but that can only do so much. Any suggestions to get her to stop this behavior?

havecats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe you could put a litter box over her naughty spot. It was suggested to me in the past when one of my cats had problems with that and it really helped.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your theory about weekend absences causing this seems possible. Many years ago I had a cat that peed in our suitcases when we went on vacation. It was only a couple of times, but it was clear enough that she made the link. I don't think its a super common thing with cats (unlike dogs), but its clear enough it can happen. You are using an enzyme cleaner?

In terms of solutions, I'm not sure. I think there might an article in the articles tab on cat anxiety. Might be something in there that could help.