Cats hate each other.

Jackmcbob

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have many cats. And they all get along fine. Apart from two.

One of cats Oscar likes all my other cats but hates this one female Heidi who was introduced to him at the same time as another cat yet he only hates the one. I don’t understand why he only hate Heidi

then there’s my other one sunshine which literally all the other cats except Oscar! “The one who hates the other one” they chase her and bully her almost and hit her till she hisses I’m always having to put her somewhere they can’t get to her now. They were introduced correctly and she came with her brother but they all like him just not her so I know it’s not due to being introduced wrong.

Oscar always took the longest to accept others but eventually did...and has done with my other cat since Heidi

but poor sunshine it’s almost like she’s that poor kid in school bullied for no reason at all. But she reacts badly so they think her reaction is almost funny and keep doing.

Is there anything i can do mainly with sunshine to try to get them to get along with her?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Make sure that Sunshine has places that she can retreat to, to get away from the marauding hordes, and try taking her aside for "special play time." Do this several times a day (at least 3 to begin with). I like Da Bird or something very similar. BE that bird! Make it swoop and soar, but also make sure that Sunshine gets to "catch" her bird on a regular basis. That's a wonderful confidence builder for cats. If she gets more confident, she won't act as much like prey, and the other cats will begin to respect her more.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If Sunshine hasn't had a vet check recently, get one for her. If that vet
doesn't find anything wrong, get a second opinion. Tell the vet whats going
on and watch his/her face to be sure s/he's actually listening. That way the vet should be willing to look for sublte illness, not just the temp and poke and prode exam younger cats get. Absolutely have blood work done and maybe a full body x-ray to look for arthritis. New cat may just not be as accepting as your other cats. Sometimes cats don't care for ill cats.

I had a cat who only attacked new cats who were healthy, never touched any who arrived ill. And I had one who hated the cat rescued after her. She tolerated the others, barely, that were there when she arrived. The vet thought it was temperament and offered to get me a nice cat. The vet didn't do a comprehensive exam, the gereactic exam might have done. After she crossed over, I found a kitten with arthritis. (new vet), so I think that might have been part of the problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jackmcbob

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank y’all for the advice. Sunshine has her hidden area but mostly she decides to sleep right next to me as the gang won’t think about attacking while she’s near me lol. I will definitely try the da bird and hopefully build her confidence up. As think about it she does act like prey with the way she runs and hides. She’s the only one who doesn’t even chase flies.
Regards to her health she’s been checked over recently for her check up and yearly boosters and the vet said she was all good. But yes she may have some hidden condition not visible to us. She is a British short hair and very quite and laid back. Not sure if her bread are more prone to arthritis or anything.

image.jpg

this is her currently in her favourite spot.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What a pretty girl she is! Let's hope we can make some progress with her! Poor baby. I know what being bullied is like. It is no fun at all.