TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes I've been on there. Got the last one on overstock

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Soem times I search the web for rugs but usually cat stuff.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Something occurred to me, but it's a pretty desperate move. Every time we added a new one and things were cranky, a little later we'd move house. After they came out of hiding they worked things out. This happened several times.

Now, I realize, really, I do, that moving house is a serious thing and I'm not suggesting you do that. However, you might make a mini-move, which is also kinda serious and you might need a bit of help. Bundle everyone of the cats into their carriers and take them to the vet, or grandma's or any where you and the carriers can sit for an hour. Then take them all back home and release them together. This might just shake up their world view and territorial claims.

It's just a suggestion and a desperate one. I won't be the least bit surprised if you say, "ahhhhhhhhhhh, no."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Something occurred to me, but it's a pretty desperate move. Every time we added a new one and things were cranky, a little later we'd move house. After they came out of hiding they worked things out. This happened several times.

Now, I realize, really, I do, that moving house is a serious thing and I'm not suggesting you do that. However, you might make a mini-move, which is also kinda serious and you might need a bit of help. Bundle everyone of the cats into their carriers and take them to the vet, or grandma's or any where you and the carriers can sit for an hour. Then take them all back home and release them together. This might just shake up their world view and territorial claims.

It's just a suggestion and a desperate one. I won't be the least bit surprised if you say, "ahhhhhhhhhhh, no."
Interesting thought, need more carriers though lol

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OMG guys i am freaking out. Dont know how this can happen so quickly.
DH gets home. I make dinner. he checks the outdoor wood burner.
the cats had just eaten and were finding their places to sleep. I know levi and Ebony were awake while we were getting our dinner.. Mittens sleeping on one end of the couch and oreo and shy guy on the other. I think alli was on one of the towers. We take our plates in the other room. i swear like 5 minutes later. I huge cat fight breaks out by the couch. I some times eat and watch tv on the couch. I wish i had. :( Hair was all over and cats all over. I couldnt tell who was ganging up on who.
Oddly i forgot to give levi his calming chews this morning. I was thinking they werent working. But maybe they are. Its the jekyll and hyde stuff that scares me and dont know how to handle or control it. and it just seems to disrupt and mess up the whole calmness in the house.
im worried these will happen while im gone and it will be really bad, as im not here to break it up :(

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I like K Kflowers idea of taking all the cats out of the house for a little while.

I realize with 9 cats, it would be expensive, and maybe even impossible to get them all in the same place, but maybe even boarding them for a day or 2, might make a difference. If nothing else, it would be like a vacation for you and your DH, and you could literally relax for a while, without worrying that a cat fight will break out. Maybe even clean the house without having a furry face helping.

Even if boarding is impossible, and I can see how it could be, it still might be worth it to borrow some extra carriers and take the cats all out in the car for a bit.

Then maybe when you bring them home, put a dab of pure vanilla extract (yes, the pure stuff is expensive, so just get a tiny bottle) on each of them so they all smell the same. Here's more on the vanilla idea: Ode to vanilla extract.

And then try re-introductions, especially between the ones most likely to get into fights.

Something to think about, at least.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok I tried to run errands this morning. Left and mittens was on the couch. I come home to find her on my desk and papers/stuff pushed out.
I dont even know who it was. I wish I had $ for a camera. I could watch from my phone. I took her off my desk and put her back on the couch. Alli and her are not getting along. Alli isn't getting along with Levi. It's crazy.
I'm tempted to put her downstairs. But not sure she will want to be down there alone. It may give her peace. But idk. May have to do it when we are gone. I was hoping things would get better. But right now it's worse. They are worse then teenagers with no supervision :/
If I look back when alli was fighting mittens over the top tower. So it's not new. But gotten worse. But the big things is why? What's causing it and how to remedy and calm everyone.
As far as Levi. I was reading the other post and him and Lillian were both feral. Taken in at 8 weeks and probably not socialized properly? How do I go back to fix that? Or know if that is the case? He gets along with some of the other cats and has times when he gets along with others. He likes to rub heads with the others.
He can be sweet and innocent to some or sometimes. Then other times tries to act tough with tail high walls up to the other cats. Swats etc

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you were onto something when you talked about how hot it is in your house. We know that as the temperature rises people lose their tempers and fight more. There is a cut off point for people, close to 100F maybe, when it becomes too hot to fight, and the number of fights decreases.

When it got hot, and we didn't have air conditioning for a long time, the cats would go to the basement. They didn't fight in the basements. I have no idea why, except that they spent a good bit of time digging in the dirt. One house had had a coal furnace at one time and they were covered in coal dust the entire summer we lived there.

Do yours fight in the basement?

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well they fight on every floor lol. Chased from upstairs and chased from downstairs which is cooler.
But temps have been up and down her in Mn. We heat with an outdoor wood stove. So some times it's hard to regulate the temp inside. And my dh doesnt always like to turn it down.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone been injured badly enough to have to see the vet? What did the vet say?

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Has anyone been injured badly enough to have to see the vet? What did the vet say?
No, luckily just losing fur, a few scratches. And sad kitties. I haven't asked the vet about the bullying. I'm trying to deal with it myself. And so many other things going on with shy guys puking and alli's on going uti. That and it comes and goes. Like shy guys issue we have good days/weeks and bad.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did I warn you about the tranquilizers? Some times they work, some times they don't. Some times they paralyze the back legs, which doesn't help shy cat's feelings of insecurity at all. I'm only suggesting that if you go that way, keep the kit isolated until you see how the drug works. Vet has to prescribe them so that's in the future.

What happens if you don't interfere? It didn't sound as though there was all that much destruction when you got back from your errands. I can't remember the last time I left papers out on a desk/table whatever. I keep some on the table by my chair, but I keep them in a cardboard box made to hold manuscripts (office supply store.) I'm guessing part of the lack of destruction is because you've cat proofed, or they have, and there isn't much left to destroy.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just sitting here and remembered I used to play with mittens with the dabird toy. In my daughters room. After she moved out but before the mom and kittens were put in there.
I ordered it on August 19th. So it must have been going on before then. Daughter said she moved out August 8th

Last edited:

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok so I decided to see how mittens would like being downstairs. She sorta seems to like it. I kept her downstairs for a bit last night.But dh kicked her out when he went to bed :/
So he is at work. I try to sleep mornings. So brought her down with me. We have a waterbed and last night she was leery of it. Today she came and laid on the bed and was just purring. Made me happy. Now I'm of course wondering how this will play out. It's a small area. Our bedroom bathroom and laundry room.
Can this be a part time retreat, during certain hours? Will they fight more when she goes back upstairs? They get along a lot of the time. Feedings etc.
I'm so nervous. If she puts holes in the waterbed mattress dh will kill me :/
I know he doesnt miss not having them climb all over everything in the bedroom.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What did the vet say about the puking?

Sweet Gum threw up within an hour after most meals. I kept changing her food, no slow change, if she puked I changed it. She threw up for everything made by Purina and by Mars. Sometimes I didn't realize Mars made the food, they are pretty much on the qt about until after she threw up and I looked it up. She finally refused all wet food. Maybe from throwing up? I think there is an ingredient in the base that both companies use for their food that disagrees with her. (I used to buy 16 cans of Friskies (crap no spelling today, the one that's not FF a week.) Finally found a dry she'd eat and keep down.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Doesn't DH realize that there is a problem and you're doing your best to help Mittens? doesn't he care?

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They have him transitioning to hydrolized protein diet. Then probably slowly try to see what's causing the puking. But have no idea how to do that with dry. As you have to transition slowly. Today started 50/50 of each. And so far no puking. But he hasn't puked wet and I haven't changed that. So time will tell

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Doesn't DH realize that there is a problem and you're doing your best to help Mittens? doesn't he care?
I honestly dont know. He is usually pretty supportive when it comes to me and the cats. But I guess he doesn't think it's a big enough issue :/ enough to give something up.
He did tell me though next week. He has a 4 day weekend and plans to get dd's room cleaned out and opened for the cats. I'm hoping that helps a bit. But not expecting miracles.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Go and buy a cheap quilt the kind that's a couple of layers of fabric, not a duvet, a quilt. Put it on the water bed under the sheets. It should be thick enough to protect from kit's claws. We've had an airbed set up for about five years. Had SG for 6 years and the puppy for 6 months. We threw an old camping/army blanket on it. No punctures. If you've got an old army blanket use that, but remember to use two sheets. I've found those blankets a little itchy.