Cat's Eye

Cmmack

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just noticed one of the feral cats I feed has something wrong with his eye. It's like a big brown area pushing up from underneath and spilling over. It's a nasty brown color. He doesn't act sick, doesn't seem to be in pain and has a good appetite.

Has anyone had any experience with this sort of thing? Even if I could catch him (he's very wild) I can't afford vet fees. It is very worrying. These cats are my family. I hate to see anything bad happen to them. They suffer enough just being homeless

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS.

You can get a humane trap from an animal shelter and put food in the back. Then when he goes in, hte door will shut automatically and he can't get out. Vets know how to handle feral cats in these cages, so the only problem is coaxing him to get in it before the eye gets worse.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cmmack

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The TNR has shut down in my area until they get more funding and as I said, I don't have the money for a vet. If it weren't for Amazon deals, I wouldn't have the money to feed as much as I do. With flea meds, worming and food I've cut my budget to the bone to have enough for those.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Where do you live? The shelter could still have a humane trpa to borrow without a TNR program. It does not hurt to call and ask.

I never looked at it, but TCS has an article about finding a low-cost vet.

Cmmack

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm in Grand Rapids, MI. I checked out the article you mentioned, but it seems there's nothing for Michigan. I'm doing searches for low-cost vet clinics that will take ferals but so far no luck.

I did a search for cancer in cat's eyes which I suspicioned it was and found something called Iris Melanosis. The pics of this look identical to what happening in Happy Jack's eye. If this is what it is, I need to get him to the vet as soon as possible. I'm working on it. Wish me luck.

Cmmack

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Still trying to find a low-cost vet that will take ferals. It's the feral part that is the problem.

I did some more research and it seems that if the brown spot covers 50 percent of the eye and then stops spreading, it's probably benign, but if it keeps growing it can turn malignant.

Happy Jack's is more like 30 percent, but I' still want to get him checked out by a vet. I just hope I can find one that will treat him without costing an arm and a leg cause I need to those.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Some vets offer a feral cat discount. Have you asked any of them about that?

There also is something called Care Credit that allows people to spread out vet bill payments. Ask veterinary clinics if htey offer it.

Cmmack

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So far, every vet I've talked to won't touch a feral cat. I'm looking into the care credit thing along with a few other leads. Hopefully, i'I' find something before the situation becomes critical.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2:
Thanks for caring for the ferals in your area. :petcat:

The TNR has shut down in my area until they get more funding and as I said, I don't have the money for a vet.
Is this the TNR you were referring to?
http://www.carolsferals.org/

Wonder if you contacted her, if she would give you suggestions of low cost vets who care for ferals.

Cmmack

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's a great idea. I should be able to think of things like that myself but I have severe degenerative arthritis and fibromyalgia and sometimes between the pain and the fibro "brain fog" I miss the obvious. Thanks.

Cmmack

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, I forgot to say, yes, that's the TNR in Grand Rapids.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hopefully she'll be able to help you find a vet. :crossfingers: