Cats eating less in the winter?

vsvpflex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 4 cat household. One of the cats is a PU cat with food allergies so making sure he’s eating and getting enough fluids is always a priority. I live in NE Michigan, and since the colder months have hit, I have noticed all 4 cats eating less than usual. Normally when dry food is put out, they inhale it and lately they eat it way slower. And my PU cat has had to all but be begged to eat his wet food, which is uncharacteristic as he’d normally devour it. Is this normal? Does anyone else notice their cats food consumption vary with the seasons? Also, for what its worth, my PU/Allergy cat was just at the vet in October and had routine blood work done and everything was normal, and aside from the decreased appetite, his activity level, personality, and everything else is completely normal as well.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What I have noticed with mine is that their appetite tends to decrease in WARMER weather, not cooler weather. When it's cold, they need more food to help keep them warm. But if they are indoors only and you keep your house at the same temperature all year round, it shouldn't make much difference.

Is the food you are currently feeding a new batch? It's possible there was a recipe change or something is slightly different that they don't like as well. If it's not new, could it be expired? I would look at every possibility since all four are eating less.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Over all, our cats also tend to eat more in colder weather. But their appetites can vary from day to day. Some days are more for sleeping than eating! And as mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens says, even small changes in food can make a big difference to a cat.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've found they eat better in the cool weather too. Are you keeping your heat high indoors?

One other thing is I find my cats less active and eating less on cloudy or grey days. On sunny days they are hyper and eat a lot. Has it been cloudy there?

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mine definitely eat more in the winter. Aside from the things already mentioned, you can also look at possible stress in the house. It's the holiday season so for a lot of people it's a stressful and/or busy time, cats can pick up on the stress and can become stressed themselves if their normal routine is disrupted. Things like having more guests over, especially since that has not been the norm for the past couple years, going out more often then you normal do, spending more time doing other things when home and less time playing with the cat, and things like that can all have an effect on the cats.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What A Alldara says about "cloudy or grey days" and amethyst amethyst says about stress are great points. I hadn't even thought to mention it but one of our cats is sensitive to certain weather patterns: summer heat and low barometric pressure. I've finally gotten used to her behavior when the pressure drops: she eats a little less and loves to crawl under a sheet or blanket to nap. But then when the pressure starts to rise again (and the weather improves), she's back to her usual self. As I've mentioned in other posts on the site, I'd never have believed this could be but I heard a holistic vet mention barometric pressure during a presentation about cats and stress.