Cats eating each other's food

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My new boy Clarence is a grazer. He has a cleft palate so I have to add water to his food and mix it up and it takes him the day to eat it all. I give him a can in the morning and one at night. I'm also giving him lots of Churus and kitten food to fatten him up. For now, he is isolated with his ringworm buddy, Liam. Liam is a little chubster who will eat his food given the chance. I have a camera in there and keep an eye on them in the morning. As soon as Clarence walks away, I go in and put the food up. I go back in at 11am and 3pm to let him graze. I can't do that at night, though, so I worry he's not getting enough to eat. (Hence the Churus during the day. He is picky but loves them thankfully.)

I have a microchip feeder I am trying to train him on. He doesn't like it. First I put the dish in FRONT of it for a few weeks. Then I slowly moved it up to the tray. That's where it is now. The past few days, I try to put it IN the feeder, but he doesn't like that bar over his head. I keep trying and maybe he'll give in, but I want him to eat so that's more important. I'm really hoping I can get him to use it, though. BECAUSE as soon as he's free in the house, if Liam doesn't eat his food, Timothy and Benjamin surely will. I already feed Benjamin in a separate room from Timothy because he will finish first and eat Benjamin's food.

I'm worried I won't be able to get Clarence to use this feeder so I'm looking for advice on how to keep other cats from eating each other's food. Also, sometimes Clarence puts his paw in the food and licks it off and that won't work with this feeder. He doesn't do that often lately so I must have a good mix of water for him. Just now I went in and he just looked at it and then at me. I added a little water and mixed it up and he ate some. He's adjusted to this cleft palate but I wish he could talk and say "more water" or "mix it up more" because I'm just guessing at this point.

Anyway. Any advice on keeping the piggies at bay would be appreciated. I searched the threads here and didn't see anything. I must not be searching for the right keywords, though. I can't be the only one with this issue.

Attaching a pic of the feeder in case you haven't seen one. He does not like that bar. It would make life easier if he'd use it, though.

Attachments

CyberTiger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wonder, maybe you could get Clarence to like the feeder with some help from the Churus? Stick your hand with the open tube in there for him to eat at, put a bit on the food, etc. Maybe doing that enough would get him used to it.

I know my cat goes wild for Churus.