Cat's Ear Is Balding - With Pic

tom87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This long haired cat sleeps both outside in a shed and inside the house. Found her a couple of years ago in State Park when she was a stray kitten. I noticed a bare spot, actually more of bare line about a half inch long, outside her ear maybe 3 weeks ago. I thought it was an injury of some type at first but now the balding area is larger and the other ear is starting to lose hair too. The reddish “pimples” are also a concern. It doesn’t seem to bother her at all and I’ve never seen her scratch there. She seems perfectly healthy. I feed her both Purina One Hairball Formula (dry), Purina Friskies (wet) and plenty of water . Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated! Hope I uploaded the pic correctly.
Tom
2019-08-09 15.49.57.jpg

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does your cat shake her head and/or scratch her ears a lot?
My cat would lose fur in that area when his ears started bothering him, and he started scratching more.
You will probably have to take him to the vet so they can check him out and see what the rash is.
Do her ears look dirty inside? Could she have ear mites or a yeast build up?
Again, a vet would be able to tell you that.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd have a vet check that, just to be on the safe side. There are a lot of infections, both bacterial and fungal, parasites and other such nasties that can cause those bumps. There are also a few pretty innocuous things, as well, but why take a chance?