Cats ear constantly filthy even cleaning every day?

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I work for a vet clinic and was told to bring home some micellar water type solution we use to clean animal ears and then the zymox otic non steroid to flush the ear with and I've been doing this a week and it doesnt seem to help at all. The zymox is supposed to be a 2 week thing but I doubt it will help.

Nothing has changed food or medication wise but it seems it's mainly his right ear. I got a slide done on it and they saw no mites which was discouraging because how am I supposed to help? This attached file is just a quick swipe on one part of his ear.

Should I have them redo a slide to check for mites again? I know they're highly contagious and my other cat's ears are perfect.

This seems to flare. One vet thinks its environmental allergies some how. He started getting ear problems after he got back from the icu in august when he was being treated for dka, sepsis and pancreatitis but the ear has been pretty bad on and off since January I believe and that's when I got a slide done to look for mites

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is there anything else they could test for besides mites - like a yeast or bacterial infection? It might require a different treatment than the zymox, especially if it yeast related. That is what I would recommend at this point.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree. It could be a bacterial infection. Since you have another cat who isn't having any issues, I'm thinking it's not ear mites. And, of course, since none showed up on the slide, that just solidifies it in my mind. But certainly it could be an infection. And it's possible it's pretty deep in the inner ear which would be hard to really get at with a topical cream, wash, whatever.

Your poor little guy. He just can't seem to catch a break, can he?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree. It could be a bacterial infection. Since you have another cat who isn't having any issues, I'm thinking it's not ear mites. And, of course, since none showed up on the slide, that just solidifies it in my mind. But certainly it could be an infection. And it's possible it's pretty deep in the inner ear which would be hard to really get at with a topical cream, wash, whatever.

Your poor little guy. He just can't seem to catch a break, can he?
Thank you guys. I'll take him in again... maybe I'll take him to another vet instead of my work to see if they have other ideas or test other things. The techs at my work said they saw "nothing" just so much crap in it. He doesnt really itch or tilt his head much but I know it has to bother him everywhere he goes and sleeps he leaves "crumbs" i call them everywhere. They didnt see anything bad deep in the ear just all this mess

The place I will try to get another opinion with is the Chinese medicine vet that he gets his ITP herbs from

But if the ears are the only real big issue for him then I can handle it