Cats destroying carpet under the door

nullentropy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay so as some of you know, I have two 9 month old kittens (both are speutered) and I've been having issues with them not covering their litter. Well now I have a new, more serious, issue. Whenever my boyfriend and I are in the bedroom with the door closed, the cats will claw at the carpet. We can't have them in the bedroom with us because they keep us awake at night. I'm at a loss for what to do. I'm considering the claw caps option, but I have no idea what size or how to clip their nails. Anything else I can try before that?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nullentropy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Check out the articles section for claw care advice   www.thecatsite.com/a/how-to-best-take-care-of-cat-claws is the best article on claw care. Other than that, try using a plastic runner under the door, first knobby side down, then if that doesn't work, knobby side up.

You may eventually have to give up and let them into the bedroom to get at least a little peace.
Unfortunately letting them into the bedroom would be more disruptive as eventually they give up trying to get in and go to sleep. I have a runner, that's a good idea. I'll try that.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try the runner, but IME, runners are too flexible and the cats will just bunch them up to get to the carpet. If they aren't too persistent it could work. If they are more persistent, get one of those stiff thick plastic mats that you put under office chairs---they're hard to cut but will definitely prevent the cats from scratching! Make sure you cut it with plenty of coverage on both sides of the door.