Cat's Cleaning Each Other, Won't Clean Themselves Anymore

bpenniman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've never heard of this and can't find anything online about it. My 2 cats a couple weeks ago started cleaning each other constantly. It's cute and they love each other but now they won't clean themselves. So I'm using pet wipes to get the matting stuff out of their hair then brushing them. Also, neither of them have had hairballs in the past 2 or 3 wks since this has happened too. But I would really like them to clean themselves again. Anyone have any clue as to what's going on?

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When a cat stops self grooming it's often a sign of a health issue. I'd run them to the vet if only to rule that out. Most of the time cats grooming each other is just a sign that they are bonded and very happy with each other. When mine are stressed they will seek each other out to be comforted by mutual grooming.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Aside from the possible health issues that do need to be ruled out - can you find time to spend with each of them separately and brush them at that time? Maybe if the other cat isn't present, the cat that is being brushed will respond by grooming himself - and, hopefully once the pattern/habit has been re-established it won't be forsaken again?

Cats also groom each other so that they will smell alike, and to console themselves. Perhaps, there has been some trauma recently that has them feeling a bit insecure and/or feeling the need to make each other smell more like themselves?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bpenniman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I brushed them separately today. I'll see if that works. I had a cat that died a couple months ago so maybe that's why?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had a cat that died a couple months ago so maybe that's why?
So sorry about your other cat. I suppose it is possible, especially if they were all pretty close to one another. If that is contributing to the issue, you should see it diminish over time - but, still try the brushing anyway.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bpenniman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So sorry about your other cat. I suppose it is possible, especially if they were all pretty close to one another. If that is contributing to the issue, you should see it diminish over time - but, still try the brushing anyway.
Thanks! I brushed them again a half hr ago and one of my cats is cleaning himself just now.