Cats Can Be So Subtle

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I write a lot about Barry, my former feral. I spent a lot of time with him getting him comfortable with humans and not being scared of all of us. Part of this is learning as much about his behaviour as possible. He is not quite cuddly with me but is pretty affectionate. He likes my wife, but she can't pet him like I can.

So yesterday at cat-dinner time, I called Barry over to lick off the lid and the wife comes by. I tell her to call him over for a pet. (Barry is more receptive to attention at feeding time and in the dark.) Barry does a drive by for her and I'm like - why didn't you pet him - didn't you see it? As Barry walked by, he tipped his cheek up maybe 1/2 an inch, didn't change course, didn't slow down. Drive by #2 happens, he tips his cheek again and she pets the top of his head - he keeps going because you gotta pet the spot he wants. Drive by #3 and she nails it - Barry slows way down and turns a bit to keep the petting going.

Cats can be so subtle and cryptic sometimes - it takes a while to decipher them. Odd little clues about how to pet them, where to play with them - they can drive you nuts.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I write a lot about Barry, my former feral. I spent a lot of time with him getting him comfortable with humans and not being scared of all of us. Part of this is learning as much about his behaviour as possible. He is not quite cuddly with me but is pretty affectionate. He likes my wife, but she can't pet him like I can.

So yesterday at cat-dinner time, I called Barry over to lick off the lid and the wife comes by. I tell her to call him over for a pet. (Barry is more receptive to attention at feeding time and in the dark.) Barry does a drive by for her and I'm like - why didn't you pet him - didn't you see it? As Barry walked by, he tipped his cheek up maybe 1/2 an inch, didn't change course, didn't slow down. Drive by #2 happens, he tips his cheek again and she pets the top of his head - he keeps going because you gotta pet the spot he wants. Drive by #3 and she nails it - Barry slows way down and turns a bit to keep the petting going.

Cats can be so subtle and cryptic sometimes - it takes a while to decipher them. Odd little clues about how to pet them, where to play with them - they can drive you nuts.
That's what's so cool about them though. I could go out, get a kitten that's 6 weeks old, bring them home and live with them for the next 18 or more years and never quite know who they really are. They're the closest thing to a wild animal I can think of.
Plus, isn't it cool how you immediately noticed that he tipped that cheek up 1/2 inch? Do you ever want to scream because no one else notices that, because you're used to looking for it and it seems so obvious to you? You probably notice more about human faces and body language than you realize, signs that someone is lying or is nervous or is being honest or how very little change it takes to turn a smile into a smirk.
(Same is true for horses, I can't count how many times I've said "when the ear closest to you is flicking in your direction, they're listening, so take some pressure off already".)

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
After living with and focusing on cats, you start to pick up their subtle hints and know their ways.

I wanted to learn patience. I got a cat. A grumpy biter. I learned more patience from that cat than I had imagined I was capable of. And the kitty and I became best buddies. :redheartpump: That cat made me a better person. I could not have guessed that a kitty could do that for me!

It's great to spend time on a cat website where there are people like me, who truly appreciate felines. The rescue where I volunteer is full of animal lovers too. I find the focus of my life is more and more on animals and the people who love them.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, I love that story!

One of my boys, Albert, couldn't be touched at all for his first year with us. He'd come and rub against your legs, but you weren't allowed to touch him. Then he'd accept pets as long as it was only the base of his tail.

I still can't touch his head, but after five and a half years I'm allowed to touch him shoulders to tail now.

:petcat:

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am a reformed dog person (jk-- I still like dogs! Just can't have one right now) and was scared to get my first cat because I grew up with a grumpy cat who bit. After my first cat died, I felt confident in my cat-owning experience when we adopted Juniper....just to realize that they were different as can be. What amazes me is how much personality each one has, and how clearly they express themselves non-verbally.

Very different from people, who may be quite talkative, but sometimes are actually less expressive because of it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am a reformed dog person (jk-- I still like dogs! Just can't have one right now) and was scared to get my first cat because I grew up with a grumpy cat who bit. After my first cat died, I felt confident in my cat-owning experience when we adopted Juniper....just to realize that they were different as can be. What amazes me is how much personality each one has, and how clearly they express themselves non-verbally.

Very different from people, who may be quite talkative, but sometimes are actually less expressive because of it!
We have three cats and they have very different personalities. Two are overtly affectionate cuddle bugs, but one of them sleeps with us and the other doesn't. Even just watching TV, she will nap on our laps, but once she's ready to sleep she moves away. Belly rubs run the spectrum from "no never" to tolerate to actively seeking them out. Cats are definitely not "plug and play"

I am pretty much a dog person, but we couldn't properly take care of a dog iwth our scheduled. The oddest but most common comment we get about the cats is "Your cats are like dogs." A lot of time, training and affection went into making sure they weren't hissy and aloof.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If they were going to make their feelings obvious, they'd be dogs. :lol:
There's that...

If you saw me with Hekitty, you would rarely think we even know each other. But no matter what room I go to, she's there. Not on top of me, but there. She does solicit affection, and accept it, but it is very much on her terms, not mine (I'd live with her in my arms, given the choice). And at night, she MUST have her story and song while snuggled up close to me. My favorite time of the day, that is.