Cats biting behavior is getting worse. I'm at my wits end with this.

auroraei

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel the need to make a new thread because this problem has gotten worse, and I want to add more details without having to reply to my old thread. I hope this is okay.

As some of you know I have an 8-9 month old cat named Phoenix, I got him in late January and he was fixed March 29th.

When I first got him he was very sweet and cuddly, liked being on my lap, never bit.......didn't even nip (that I remember). Now, he's kind of a complete nightmare. He bites me nonstop. I can't have any interaction with him without him biting me. He literally gnaws on me. My hands, my wrists, my arms, elbows, legs, feet, he will bite my NECK AND FACE. He's bitten my face a couple times and refused to let go despite my screaming. He can't even sleep in the same bed as me anymore. I have to sleep with the door shut. Also, when I'm downstairs and he's down there and I walk up the stairs, he will latch onto my legs like a tree trunk and won't let go. I have to shake him off.

I don't know what is causing this behavior. He rarely bites my husband. In fact he purrs when my husband comes in the room and my husband can pet him fine and the cat even jumps on his shoulders and he walks around for a bit. The rare times Phoenix has ever went on my shoulders, it ended with him biting me in the face and arm. But pretty much Phoenix ignores both of us all day, doesn't really care if either of us are in the room. He never comes up to us for affection and the rare times I pet him without him biting, he just lays there and doesn't move a muscle. Doesn't purr, ect.......Only time he purrs with me is when I wake up in the morning and he starts gnawing on me.

I really cannot take this biting anymore. I have REALLY thin/pale skin. Each day it's like he's biting harder and harder. I have more and more welts on me.

I've tried literally everything. I play with him every day with wand toys, but that just distracts him, it doesn't stop him from biting me later on.

I've scruffed him, firm NO, tapped his nose, flicked his ear, HISSED, clapped, screamed, sprayed him with a water bottle, I've even stuck my finger down his throat multiple times because I read that that's how you train kittens not to bite, that it triggers their gag reflex and they won't bite you again, but of course it does not bother Phoenix. I even put some hot sauce on my hands to deter him and it didn't bother him. Only way to make him "stop" is for me to leave the room. I also hand feed him treats! He isn't scared of hands. He will let me pick him up and he lets me clip his nails (sometimes he bites but not all).

I'm at my wits end with this. I can't interact with my cat without him biting, so the only thing I can do all day is play with the wand toys then leave the room.

I've asked friends, family, nobody has any real advice for me. They all tell me things I've done before. He's been to the vet twice since I've had him, and the vet said he is fine and healthy. So I really don't know what to do anymore.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is very much a tomcat behavior, IMO. They do get especially rough with women. And only being recently neutered, he still has a lot of teenage boy hormones floating around. My advice would be to not interact closely with him AT ALL for about a month (do continue playing with the wand toy so he gets exercise). Don't get close enough for him to bite you. Keep him out of the bedroom. If he gets on your lap, set him down quicly and stand up. Don't give him any chance to practice biting. That will give his hormones time to settle down, and it also takes 3 weeks to set a new habit. So maybe by that time without any reinforcement, he will have developed a new habit of not biting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

auroraei

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is very much a tomcat behavior, IMO. They do get especially rough with women. And only being recently neutered, he still has a lot of teenage boy hormones floating around. My advice would be to not interact closely with him AT ALL for about a month (do continue playing with the wand toy so he gets exercise). Don't get close enough for him to bite you. Keep him out of the bedroom. If he gets on your lap, set him down quicly and stand up. Don't give him any chance to practice biting. That will give his hormones time to settle down, and it also takes 3 weeks to set a new habit. So maybe by that time without any reinforcement, he will have developed a new habit of not biting.
Before he got neutered, he wasn't spraying, so I'm not sure how much his hormones were raging. He seems more bitey than before!

I bought "Da Bird" online and it came today, he loves it :)

I feel so bad though, like the rare times he comes on my lap, he's so chill, then he bites out of nowhere, I have to put him down. I feel bad for doing that, like he doesn't understand and he just thinks I hate him lol.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, see, I have a young male who was given up by his previous owner for the same reason, and he wasn't spraying either. But I still think it was hormones. . .he's gotten much better since I've had him, although it took a few months. But it's OK to set him down when he bites you--he needs to understand you don't like it. Does he get a look on his face before he bites? Try interrupting when you see that look, instead of waiting for the actual bite. If you're consistent, he will get the idea eventually!

auroraei

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sometimes he doesn't have a specific look, he's just playing. Sometimes his ears go little back and he kicks with his feet. I can't tell what's aggression and what's playful aggression. He's never once scratched me or hissed me.

auroraei

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know it's only been a week but this is driving me nuts. Nothing is working still.

auroraei

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think he thinks I'm a kitten :( and he wants to play rough. I really can't afford another cat right now though.

auroraei

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No change.

NyxHemera45

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hate to resurrect a dead thread but did you ever fix this problem? My girl cat is going through the same thing (she's a few months older) and I am feeling really hopeless.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As someone else mentioned did you try Feliway or anxiety meds? I had one foster cat who got this way from catnip. She was a sweetheart, but when she came into contact with catnip she would latch all her feet and teeth around my leg and refuse to let go.