Cats as picky on raw?

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok...so I may be attempting to transition my furballs to raw shortly. I recently received some coupons and introductory offers on premade raw foods, which enticed me to try it out, and I have already ordered one of the introduction packages actually. So... here's my first question, though I am sure I will have more later, do you find your cats to be less picky on raw vs canned? I think this is what is holding me back on trying raw with them. Mine are incredibly picky eaters!
I have wasted a lot of food on them. One day they'll eat something, and I'll be like...
and the next day they walk away from the same food they just ate!
Sometimes all 3 of them, sometimes just one will.  And I know many here have, or have had, the same issue with their kitties. But, I'm just curious, in general, if any who feed raw now, found them to be less picky, or just as picky. I know there is no guarantee when it comes to cats.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it's very individual. I don't think you can predict how they will react to raw. Mine was not picky about junky wet and dry food for 6 years, but is incredibly picky about the healthier canned and even more picky about raw. Ritz said her cat was very picky with canned but eats all raw with no complaints. We would love to hear how your cats react.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Each one of my three had some ingredient in canned that they just didn't care for. They also had diarrhea, so that made it all the more fun trying to feed them.

Mine took to raw made with premix like champs! I think it was the dried liver flavoring that they liked so much.

Last edited:

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like vball's cats, mine would eat the grocery store canned foods, but would only pick away at the Merrick's, EVO, Tiki, and any good foods l wanted them to eat.

They really didn't care for the commercial raw foods l tried either (Boldraw, Carnivora, and NV Instincts). When l made my first batch of homemade ground raw, l used chicken, duck and venison with the catnutrition.org recipe, the cats LOVED it. l had never seen them so excited over food. They're not fussy over beef or pork (and hate lamb!), but will eat any homemade raw they're given - probably because it tastes like either salmon oil or krill.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats were the same: eat any junk food, but picky about better, healthier (and more expensive!) canned foods. :rolleyes: It took a while to make the transition, but I didn't just put raw down for them to eat. Mine ranged in age from 5 years to almost 10 years when we started the transition. I offered one protein at a time, mixed into the canned food they were eating as a base. I started with maybe 25% raw, and increased the amount of raw-to-canned over a few meals/days, working up to 100% of that protein raw. I tried to use that protein as the base for the introduction of the next one, but I learned quickly that my cats got bored with the same proteins when on raw.

They were also very sensitive to the temperature of the raw food at first. They did NOT like it cold. It basically had to be room temperature. Now I can feed it to them cold, out of the fridge - and now they prefer it that way. :rolleyes: But during the transition, there were times I thought they were being picky about the food, but it turned out they were being picky about the temperature.

So once fully ON raw (and I found they became totally non-picky about the high-end canned foods once on raw :lol3: ), I never offer the same protein at the next meal. I have a cat that cannot tolerate a meal that is more than 50% red meat, so while my schedule for raw would technically be red meat am, gizzard or thigh with organs at dinner, and white meat meal late night, I actually give them 50% white meat/50% red meat both at the morning meal and the late night meal.

But at the beginning - and fairly regularly for the next 3 - 6 months or so (depending on the cat, and still now, at times (!), almost 1.5 years into it), I had/have to use toppers to get them to dig in. I use freeze dried liver mostly; though freeze dried chicken is a better option for a couple of my cats. For the most part, they don't need it. But the minute I run out and don't replace it, someone decides to just sit and stare at me instead of eat. :rolleyes:

Oh - I also keep chicken baby food on hand to use as a topper. A few small dollops here and there on top of the food works really well for my pickiest cat (who has nausea issues - he had cancer, but it's in remission, knock wood).

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm actually a little excited to try this with them. I know there is no way to know, till I do, how they'll take to it. I'll be starting with chicken, as this seems to be their protein of choice right now in their canned food. They have gotten a bit better with accepting more varieties of proteins lately IF I use the freeze dried chicken as a topper. They'll accept quail, duck and even some beef occasionally. As 2 are almost just 2 yrs old and my newest will just be 1yr next month, I figure IF I want to transition them, now would be the time, before they get even more used to only canned.

Thanks again, I'm sure I'll be back with even more questions.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mine are just as picky about raw as they are about high quality canned
.  And in the raw department, they don't all eat the same thing.  Wish they did, as it would make life easier, but at least they are (for the moment) eating raw, so I am happy.  One eats almost anything I give him (except duck), one only likes turkey or sometimes chicken, and other only likes chicken at the moment.  And if I have to resort to canned for some reason (like I'm in a hurry), one of them still gives me grief...but she's the one who is currently giving me grief over eating period
so we can't go by her

Good luck to you.  Did you order that Primal Variety Pack?  That's the only one I'm familiar with.  I think you get 4 different flavors to try.  Each one is about 1 oz. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine are just as picky about raw as they are about high quality canned
.  And in the raw department, they don't all eat the same thing.  Wish they did, as it would make life easier, but at least they are (for the moment) eating raw, so I am happy.  One eats almost anything I give him (except duck), one only likes turkey or sometimes chicken, and other only likes chicken at the moment.  And if I have to resort to canned for some reason (like I'm in a hurry), one of them still gives me grief...but she's the one who is currently giving me grief over eating period
so we can't go by her

Good luck to you.  Did you order that Primal Variety Pack?  That's the only one I'm familiar with.  I think you get 4 different flavors to try.  Each one is about 1 oz. 
This is the same issue I have with the canned. I feel your pain.

Actually this is what I got http://www.darwinspet.com/our-cat-food/. Not sure how it's packaged yet. I know some companies make medallions you just pull out to defrost. I think with this, I'll have to portion it up myself.  I know I won't be ordering it a second time though. When it was calculated out, based on the weight of each cat, the food itself was very reasonable, but the shipping was $30!

I will look into the primal... thanks!