Cats are sick on cat food...

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please read this fully, maybe twice, as the following may not come across in a positive light, as I am autistic and my wording is awful.

So, around May 2022, One of my cats was having problems eating, and would badly scratch his mouth and it would bleed a lot as he would try and "do something" and his claws would rip his mouth open.

I think it was about a month later, he want into the vets to have these teeth removed, all good so far. However, I did notice around the same time in May, he was sick (vomit), within 2 hours of him eating dry food. I also noticed that my other 2 cats did the same thing, you see, they were normally sick within just minutes of eating the food. The vets checked the cat who was booked in to have teeth removed, and said that he is healthy, so it must be the food that is making them sick.

The day after my cat has his teeth removed, we adopted 3 kittens, and when they eat the same food, they was also sick. Our vets are extremely short staffed, as most staff have left to go back to Europe after Brexit, and with covid being around they didn't do a deep check on all 6 cats, just the one, who had his teeth removed. There was nothing wrong with him, and asked what food it was when given, they didn't have anyone else reporting this. So, we contacted the manufacturer, as one thing I did notice was their packaging was now made with "less plastic" or "recycled". They asked for all the information on the cat food, and explained that this wasn't just the one bag it was effected, but it was maybe 40KG worth in 7 or 8 bags. So, they asked for samples of the cat food, from different bags if possible, but luckily we had a few handfuls from different bags. It was all set in, and they found that there was no real reason why my cats are sick eating this dry cat food.

I have had to switch to a rival bag, but I don't think that this is anywhere near as good as what we been using, but it hasn't made any of them sick.

I have tried to use different flavours, different target improvement areas, all makes them sick.

The 3 kittens we adopted, one died, one got pregnant, and has 5 kittens, my sister has 2 of the kittens, and she uses the same food as I did, but they are not sick on it, but they were when they were here.

So, we know my cats are not sick, we know there is nothing wrong with the cat food. I would really like the cats to be back on this brand of quality cat food, or a brand that is just as good, same price range too would be brilliant.

What should I do?

Attica1962

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I own only a kitten and don't have much experience with cats, but I have experience with horses and their food. If this particular brand of food is not the cause, and the cats are healthy otherwise, then maybe it is something that it is changing the characteristics of the food. Maybe the food was contaminated outside the bag? Maybe this particular brand of food reacts in someway with your cat bowls? Maybe you're using some kind of detergent to clean the bowls that reacts only with this particular brand?

And if by getting sick, you mean they were vomiting after eating, maybe they ate too much, or too fast? Maybe there was a sudden change, from one brand to another or from one type to another, and that upset their stomachs?

As I said, I don't know much about cats but I have had my fair share of horses reacting badly to otherwise healthy food. And it is a really good thing that you've found another food that they can eat normally.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Please read this fully, maybe twice, as the following may not come across in a positive light, as I am autistic and my wording is awful.

So, around May 2022, One of my cats was having problems eating, and would badly scratch his mouth and it would bleed a lot as he would try and "do something" and his claws would rip his mouth open.

I think it was about a month later, he want into the vets to have these teeth removed, all good so far. However, I did notice around the same time in May, he was sick (vomit), within 2 hours of him eating dry food. I also noticed that my other 2 cats did the same thing, you see, they were normally sick within just minutes of eating the food. The vets checked the cat who was booked in to have teeth removed, and said that he is healthy, so it must be the food that is making them sick.

The day after my cat has his teeth removed, we adopted 3 kittens, and when they eat the same food, they was also sick. Our vets are extremely short staffed, as most staff have left to go back to Europe after Brexit, and with covid being around they didn't do a deep check on all 6 cats, just the one, who had his teeth removed. There was nothing wrong with him, and asked what food it was when given, they didn't have anyone else reporting this. So, we contacted the manufacturer, as one thing I did notice was their packaging was now made with "less plastic" or "recycled". They asked for all the information on the cat food, and explained that this wasn't just the one bag it was effected, but it was maybe 40KG worth in 7 or 8 bags. So, they asked for samples of the cat food, from different bags if possible, but luckily we had a few handfuls from different bags. It was all set in, and they found that there was no real reason why my cats are sick eating this dry cat food.

I have had to switch to a rival bag, but I don't think that this is anywhere near as good as what we been using, but it hasn't made any of them sick.

I have tried to use different flavours, different target improvement areas, all makes them sick.

The 3 kittens we adopted, one died, one got pregnant, and has 5 kittens, my sister has 2 of the kittens, and she uses the same food as I did, but they are not sick on it, but they were when they were here.

So, we know my cats are not sick, we know there is nothing wrong with the cat food. I w

So, we know my cats are not sick, we know there is nothing wrong with the cat food. I would really like the cats to be back on this brand of quality cat food, or a brand that is just as good, same price range too would be brilliant.

What should I do?
Throwing up soon after eating is from eating too fast. Throwing up hours later may be because he is allergic. I don't know what's available in your area but can you find a wet food with one protein? Just like wet, dry food contains ingredients that could cause digestive issues but more likely to cause vomitting,specially if eating too fast is the problem. Lots of unneeded ingredients in dry food for cats. Also the kind of bowl can cause throwing up. Thet may need elevated or whisker free bowls

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello,

so, basically,I do mean vomit, I am British and use sick as the main word for vomit.

so, basically I have had the foods tested, there is nothing wrong according to the reports. Our vets have tested one of my boys, but he died last month, and found no reason why he would be sick eating this brand of food. As far as the vet is concerned was his other health concerns, and they checked over his brother last year when they removed some of his teeth.

I have a deal with the cat food, so it’s a great price, if I cancel price goes up near 37% so I am giving the food to my sister. She has no problems with it. I did notice they changed the packaging around the time they started to get sick, however they were still sick on the older packaging food, I received old packaging, cats were occasionally sick, new packaging, nearly all the time, had a delivery of the old packaging, they were still sick.

Maybe they have eaten too much?? Well no, I have given them as little as 10 kibbles and within a couple hours they are sick.

Maybe they eat it too fast, I have tried giving them around 10 kibbles about 2-5 seconds apart, and yet they are still sick.

maybe the bowls, washing liquid, storage issues and more… well again we (vets and myself/family) would see the same problems with the other brand of cat food wouldn’t we? I have also given the cats the kibbles straight out of the bag, brand new bags too. I have said before I am giving my sister these bags, and she has no problems, she has 3 cats, 1 adult boy, and 2 kittens from my cats litter, so why would the 3 of my cats be sick on it where their brother and sister are not.

I had 4 cats who ate this all the time, then my step mum died and we took her cat in. All 5 had no problems with this.
My step mums cat died in 2016, and not long after we took my other sisters cat (my first girl) in as she moved back home for university.
in March 2021 one of my boys died, it was unexpected, we found him on my sofa (on my spot).
In October 2021, my eldest suddenly lost a lot of weight, became very weak and my sister took him to vets to be put to sleep.
In June I think, we adopted 3 kittens one girl and 2 boys, these 3 never eat the dry food that makes the others sick. In August one of the boys became sick and had heart failure, the vets said they need to see the other 2 asap, and was told their hearts are very weak, and cannot tolerate neutering, they were not able to be done until April I think, where we were told that as I found a Tom in our house (he somehow got in) she was pregnant, but we got our boy done anyway, we were told to expect him to be dead in the morning as his heart was extremely weak. He lived.
In may we had 5 more kittens born, and when ready we tried to reintroduce the dry cat food I am having problems with, and they were sick too.
in August2 kittens went to my sisters, we couldn’t keep all 10 cats, I wish we could, this sister is different to the one who moved back in. So I don’t understand why they are sick.

I hope this could help shed a light on how to reintroduce the food.

if not, should I try them with the same company who makes the food that they are sick on, and try them with their premium brand? They were not sick on their simple brand, but they didn’t eat much of it?

Not sure if I should say brands or not, but going to so you know what’s what.

Simple brand - Go-Cat

plus brand (makes them sick) Purina One

Premium brand - Purina Pro Plan (they had this on and off before recipe changes between 2015-2018i think)

any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Attica1962

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Purina brand has had some episodes of cats vomiting and being sick (lethargic, losing weight) in the past, I read online. Some were attributed to cats being dehydrated, or not adequately hydrated when having this food.

Anyway, if you have found a food that is cheap and doesn't make your cats sick, I'd stick to that one. No matter how good of a promotion they give you, if the food is making your kitten sick. Also, I would write a firm complaint to them about it. Not in order to expect a refund, but to make them know that you have been a faithful customer all these years and you can't rely on them anymore, because of these problems.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This would make a lot of sense, however there is an issue I have with this… I had the cat food tested, my cats have more water bowls around the house I can’t think to count, and they all drink plenty, and vets didn’t find any hydration issues. Why have they suddenly started to be sick when eating it?