Cats are my life

lesliecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi:  I'm new here so I'm not sure I'm doing this right or not.  I am a feral colony caregiver for 2 colonies and have been for three years.  It is illegal to feed strays where I live so I have to go out at 4 am so no one will see me.  It's a pain especially in the winter but the reward of seeing these cats well fed and healthy is great.  I also run a small cat shelter for abused and abandoned cats.  We now have 29 cats.  My personal cats number 8.  On Feb. 22 I had to put to sleep my favorite cat of all time.  Arrabella had cancer.  She was only 12.  As you can see, cats are my life.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Welcome Leslie to our Forums!   Yes, here should be the right place for you!    :)

You tell about caretaking and giving food.

Are you also doint TNR, ie  spaying and neutering?  Yourself or with help of others?

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lesliecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do TNR on my own.  The town where I live is not kind to ferals so there are not a lot of people doing this.  The ones that are are a dedicated group.  I have worked with others in the past and will again if needed.  I am getting on up in years (70) so TNR is getting harder for me.  I am trying to support groups that do TNR, especially smaller ones.  One such group is CATS, Inc.  Mary Anne Miller is a truly dedicated cat person.

sevenwonders

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!  

Thank you for all you do for the Kitties! They are so lucky to have your help.  

Sorry to hear about Arrabella - I am sure she knows how much you love her,

and she surely appreciated the Love and Care you gave her.

By the way, where do you live?

It is possible that someone here knows someone in your area who might be able to assist you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lesliecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I live in Las Cruces, NM.  A few years back the  local paper did an article on my sanctuary.  No one volunteered to help.  Still it was a blessing as I had two older gentlemen come out.  One has now been petting and grooming the cats for about a year.  The other gentleman built all kinds of things, i.e., tables, shelves for the kitties.  Everyone calls me to help them but  no one wants to help me.  I am trying not to be bitter.  Thank you so much for your reply.  

sevenwonders

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I live in Las Cruces, NM.  A few years back the  local paper did an article on my sanctuary.  No one volunteered to help.  Still it was a blessing as I had two older gentlemen come out.  One has now been petting and grooming the cats for about a year.  The other gentleman built all kinds of things, i.e., tables, shelves for the kitties.  Everyone calls me to help them but  no one wants to help me.  I am trying not to be bitter.  Thank you so much for your reply.  
Sounds like those 2 guys have been kind and helpful.

Have you considered contacting another local paper or perhaps a TV station?

Despite the "no feeding strays" rule, I would expect that there are "some" people

around who love animals enough to help.  

And, don't worry - you don't sound bitter.  

Sorry, I am in NC - you are the only person I know in NM.

Kitties are pretty much my life too.

I have a second job so I can afford to Foster,

plus take care of my 8 indoor Kitties

and 6 Garden / Feral Kitties.

It is worth it though!  

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You tell about caretaking and giving food.

Are you also doint TNR, ie  spaying and neutering?  Yourself or with help of others?
I did ask, because not all helpers are doing any TNR.  They just do give food and love, and think this is enough...   Which is not.

It is a part of our quest, to tip them about the spaying/neutering part as the necessary complement to their love and giving food.

I myself do also believe, these helpers who "just" give food but no real spaying/adoption plans, are the main reason why in so many places it is more or less forbidden to help homeless cats.

Because if it isnt tidy, the help can also cause other problem. And them cats also tend to just multiply.

Pity  the authorities in such not cat friendly places doesnt recognize the big difference between well done helping, which include TNR, adoptions, surveillance, some vet assistance... 

as contra  these "wild" just leaving some food....

Good luck!