Cats are being awful today

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I honestly don't know what the problem is. My cats have both been vocalizing like crazy today, and when I come to check it out, they are sitting in the middle of the hallway, not being bothered by anything or doing anything other than being loud and annoying. It is driving me crazy, as this has been going on for over seven hours now. I played with them last night like I do every night, so it's not like they're bored or anything. I know at least one of them wants to go outside, but tough luck for him. This is the exact reason I only take them out once a week or less, because they get sooo whiny when I let them out more often. I can't even keep windows open anymore because fresh air is enough to make my cats go insane. It's even worse right now though, because I couldn't let them outside even if I wanted to as there's an MLB game going on at the stadium across the street and all the buildings next to mine have rooftop bleachers and get so crowded that my cats would sprint back inside within a couple seconds of being out there anyway.

This is by far the worst my cats have ever acted. I have never heard them whine for more than an hour at a time, much less seven hours. I know there's not much anyone can tell me to help as this could be anything, but I just had to get this off my chest and yell about my cats to other people, because yelling at them hasn't done any good (that's hyperbole; I didn't yell at them, I raised my voice when they got overly annoying.... 6 hours ago).

Last edited:

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you expecting a change in the weather?  If you're not...maybe you should!

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with mrblanche - mine have been horrible for two days, but are settling down a bit tonight. The indoor/outdoor cats wanted where they weren't and the indoor only ones are just weirder than normal

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the funny answers; I needed a laugh after being annoyed all day. They settled down about an hour after I wrote my first post, so I guess I had bared the brunt of it already.

I would consider the noise factor, but I have had them in this apartment for two years, and they both love it when the Cubs are playing. In fact, they will go out into the sun room, prop their front paws up on the windowsill, and people-watch during games, like the picture of Tails below. We also have the fire department three doors away, and Memphis will sprint out into the sun room to watch the fire truck and ambulance whenever he hears the loud sirens.

It could be the weather, though the cold front just moved in, so maybe their weather-change detectors went off a few days too late.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ritz has been meowing much more frequently; she's a real PIA these days.  Increase in appetite/hunger, too.  Some of it is pent-up agression.  I moved recently and she sees but cannot touch birds, squirrels and chipmunks (the foxes, thankfully, are on the other side of the development).

The other reason I think is change to cooler weather.

She still loves her belly rubs and cuddle time, so I guess I have to take the "good" with the "bad".

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The bad behaviour here stopped overnight. It did excalate into a fight between Hissy and Da Magpie for some reason; they do growl and grumble at each other all the time as they hated each other on sight, but it's been a long time since the actually fought since avoidance is the norm although a short chase sometimes happens. Da Magpie even went after Tippy until he did the grab her by the scruff of the neck and sit on her to discipline the bad 'kitten' and today she is behaving.  Cold weather settled in, and rained over night so that was the whole problem