Cats and woodstoves... preventive measures?

3catgurl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First, I'm sorry if this isn't the right section to post this in (I think it is...but maybe not?)

My husband and I got a woodstove installed just before Thanksgiving (our only source of heating) and so far we've had few problems with keeping the furries away from it (as in not jumping on it, playing around it, etc). I am a worrier though, and wondered if anyone knew the best way to care for a cat who jumped on top of a woodstove?

*For the record, we don't leave the cats alone with it while its on (we either coral them in my office if we both have to go out, or else the one at home keeps an eye on them*

I know it might never happen (and I know 2 out of the 3 cats has more common sense than to jump onto something as hot as that---BUT--- I do know that cats run, play and get pretty rambunctious and I can't be sure that one won't do it. )

I'd like to be able to do something and feel prepared if it does happen.

What would the best way to care for that be? (Our vet is only open during office hours and the nearest emerg vet is 45 mins away)  The same way as treating a human burn? Rinsing the burned area in cool water, trying to determine how serious it is (and hopefully getting to the vet).

I'd especially appreciate hearing from anyone who has a woodstove and cats, or who has actually had to deal with this kind of trouble!

Thanks!

Erica

:)

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Good question and thank you for taking care over this.  I am afraid I do not have any advice for you other than to have a guard around it if you possibly can, particularly to stop them running or jumping on to the top of the stove when it is on.  I certainly share your concern as cats do not feel heat and burning like people do, and bizarrely seem immune to the smell of their fur burning if one of my friends' kittens walking close to a gas burner and singeing his tail is anything to go by.

According to Roger. A.Caras in 'A Cat is Watching'  they do not sense temperature change until it is quite extreme and they do not  feel discomfort until temperatures are as high as 124 degrees Fahrenheit.  The only areas of their body that sense  temperature changes and heat are their lips and nose pad.

Last edited:

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering if there is some type of material that could be used to make a cover for the top - guessing this is the most likely place they will jump.  When I think about it, one of my ovens in my past had an awful handle that would heat up, yet none of my other ovens pose this risk, so there HAVE to be substances that don't conduct heat.  Would it be worth asking at a hardware or kitchen store?  I'm guessing it may need to be made uniquely for you.

Afraid I don't have any thoughts beyond yours in terms of first aid - it seems a sensible approach.

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We have had cats around wood stoves for years and have never had an issue (knock on wood). When the stove is cranking, they give it a wide berth, so I think they can feel the heat and know to avoid it. My Frannie used to lay under the wood stove when it was cool. Then, when I would build a fire, she would move when it got too hot for her.

Just in case, I found some simple first aid for paw burns:

Pets may burn their paws on hot concrete, a hot deck, a hot driveway, hot metal, hot sand, hot tar, hot truck beds or any other heated surface. A burned paw can be painful, so it should be treated very gently.

Soak a burned pet paw in cool (not cold), clean water. Either submerge the sore paw in a container of cool water, or hose it thoroughly for several minutes. Gently pat the burned paw dry.

Examine the burned paw carefully to see if the skin is still intact. If the skin is broken, clean the paw with antibacterial soap and water. Dry the paw completely. Place a bit of aloe vera gel (not lotion) on the burned area. Cover the burned pet paw completely with sterile gauze and vet wrap. Be careful to wrap the paw snugly and evenly, but not so tightly that it prevents proper circulation.

I don't think a cat would like having their paw wrapped, though. I would just keep the paw as clean as possible if the skin were broken, similar to treating an abrasion. And, of course, watch for possible infection. If the skin were completely gone from the pads, or charred looking, a trip to the vet would be in order. Ouch.

Last edited: