Cats And Roaches And Sprays

BStorme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone, very urgent question.

So I live in NYC and while roaches are no stranger to me (:barfgreen:) I now have a 6 month old kitten. I've had him for a few months now and I've also lived in a basement apartment since September so a little less than a year now. The roaches are pretty much non existent in the winter but as it starts to get warmer out, they start appearing.
Tonight, my cat alerted me by making a meow I've never heard before and I saw that a roach had made it's way into my room. I had bought EcoSmart Ant and Roach Killer spray because it's supposed to be safe for pets and children. It works well to kill roaches thankfully but I had recently learned that certain essential oils can be harmful to cats and this spray contains mostly essential oils.
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for what to do that would be more cat friendly but also effective. I'm assuming the pet friendly aspect applies more to dogs than cats even though he seems to be fine, I don't want any long term effects. Unfortunately I need some kind of solution because of my circumstances (NYC, Basement apartment). We had the sticky traps laid down but he stepped on them so I don't think those are great solutions.

Any advice?
Thanks!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
Can you utilize the product in such a way that your baby can't step in it, for instance applying the product and putting something over where you've applied it? Or even use the sticky traps behind something heavy enough that the kitten can't move?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
once sticky traps go to the dump/landfill they become a danger to all the animals who must try to survive there. Please don't buy sticky traps.

At one time companies made little boxes that enticed roaches inside and prevented them from getting out and, I think contained roach poison. When I used them I also lived in an older apartment in a city. I was careful to put them under the center of the refrigerator, under the stove (probably not a good idea but I never used the oven) and behind cabinets where the space was too narrow for cats. We didn't have mice there so that wasn't a consideration. It did seem to help.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I use Ortho Home Defense Insect Killer spray every six months (if I am lazy, just once a year) on the inside perimeter of the outside walls of my house. It dries quickly and I have never had an issue with my cat being around it - nor roaches getting past it. I live in Florida, so either it's good, or I am lucky.

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i found roach gel to be the most effective by far - AND as a bonus, you can stick it on the wall or door anywhere where cats and children can't get to it. it's very close to odor free, you don't spray it.

when we bought the place we're in now, it was packed with roaches. during the four weeks before the closing, the owner let us have access. the first thing we did was put roach gel here and there. every day we'd come in and find many less live roaches, and plenty of dead ones. on day 8, we didn't see any roaches. after day 14, we only every saw 4 more roaches total. we haven't seen a sign of any in the past 4 and a half years. good stuff!

btw, my son uses a natural insect spray. it has some essential oils, so before using one, you might want to research all of them to make sure they're safe for cats.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not know if this works or not but a FB friend just posted that making catnip tea and spraying it around will deter roaches. It does not kill them but drives them away or prevents them from entering. Spray anywhere you have seen them or evidence of them. Reapply after vacuuming or mopping.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Roach bait available locally ion Houston is made by Raid, and is called the 'Roach Motel'.