cats and plants

kitty chew

Kitty chew
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, wasn't sure where to put this post. Anyway, i have two indoor 9 month old kittens. My husband is in the process of making a cat run, i don't want to let my kitties outside where we live because it's not safe for them. They always want to go outside, and i feel bad when i go out and spend time in the garden without them. Yesterday i let them out for the first time, and i think i made a mistake? I will only let them out around me, and our garden has a high wall and fences. The problem is we love gardening and have many toxic plants. Never a problem with other cats i have had. But my girl likes to chew things. Do they grow out of it? I have to follow them everywhere! My husband says it's silly to worry because every other cat manages, so he won't want me to pull out the lillies and other plants. What should i do? Guess i should have kept them inside. Now they want to go out again. Sorry for the long post.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of people worry about cats and the plants in their gardens. Almost all of them are toxic to cats except for grass and catnip. I think that if your cats are properly nourished, they won't chew on the plants. Most of my cats have never eaten anything except grass. Plants may be more of a problem inside because they are out of place there and attractive to cats, but I've never had a problem with those, either. Just keeping an eye on your cats as you're doing is probably all you need to do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitty chew

Kitty chew
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thankyou. I know i worry too much, but she's into everything. She ate half my dish cloth because it smelt like roast pork. And i had to stop her from chewing a begonia, that could have killed her.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, you will certainly need to watch her. Hopefully, she will grow out of some of this kitten behavior. Mingo was a great chewer of AC adapter cords when he was a kitten,  but he finally outgrew his chewiness.