Cats And Humans Having Allergic Reaction To Something

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Recently (since 5/17), half of my indoor only cats developed unusual upper respiratory symptoms (sniffling, sneezing, and other nose and throat noises, etc.). I originally thought it was a URI until I woke up 5/26 with a sore throat and developed a runny/stuffy nose the next day. So now I'm strongly inclined to think this is either a seasonal allergy (pollen) or some environmental allergy.

Those of us affected spend most of our time upstairs, especially at night and that's where I've had open windows. The cats and people who spend most of their time downstairs, especially at night aren't bothered. So... I was under the impression that cats don't really have seasonal allergies, but can be affected by environmental irritants. Does that include pollen and mold?

I'm not typically bothered by seasonal allergies, although I suspect I may be allergic to high levels of mold but that's usually when I've really been exposed to it (like cleaning the wet moldly leaves out of the gutter, which I haven't done in a year). None of these cats have ever been bothered by anything.

My Grandma who lives with me did receive flowers on 5/10 and was given a Begonia plant on 5/12, but they were kept downstairs. The first cat started showing symptoms on 5/17. The stems of the flowers did start turning moldy somewhere between the 17th and 23rd, but again, they were downstairs and those of us affected primarily stay upstairs. Nothing else has been used or changed in the house.

Any thoughts on this? Whatever it is must be pretty nasty because the cats that have already had their symptoms go away are starting to sniffle and sneeze again. The two cats and one person that showed symptoms the first had less severe symptoms, whereas the two cats and one person (me) that had symptoms most recently had the worst symptoms. The A/C has been on since the 25th, so hopefully that will help. If it doesn't then I guess that means I should look for mold in the house?

I have to say I feel really bad for these cats. At least I can take a plethora of medications (Benadryl, Sudafed, Advil) and can drink soothing beverages (warm decaf green tea with lemon and honey) but they can't. I know I can give them this other allergy pill every four hours (was told years ago what to use for allergies by a vet), but that doesn't help if they have a headache or sore throat. Poor babies. :(

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any changes in the area? Is there building going on nearby? Is roadwork going on close to home?

I ask only because when they started building near me almost everyone in the neighbourhood suffered URI's due to the dust in the air it was creating. (Including some animals.)

Last edited:
  • Purraise
Reactions: Jem

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure where you live, but in my area I've had several people saying that allergy season is really bad this year. And "they" (who ever "they" are) are saying it's going to be a bad year. Every second person I meet is sniffling and clearing their throats (to varying degrees of course). I don't know if it's because of how much snow we had, and a delay in spring weather, things weren't melting and drying out fast enough, but I'm inclined to believe this, because even I have had significant allergy symptoms this season, and I usually am not affected too bad.
And cats do get seasonal allergies. I had a cat who would get allergy symptoms every spring (runny nose and conjunctivitis). It worsened as he got older.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Allergy season is horrible here, as well. However...since it is the upstairs that seems to be affected, with little effects downstairs, I'd suggest getting your home tested for black mold in the upstairs (leaking roof with mold in attice space, maybe?) and for various gasses. JUST to be safe. Many toxic gasses are lighter than air, and would rise.

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem