Cats and Human Depression/Anxiety

lizcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread, but I had hoped I could get your opinions on something. I've recently been diagnosed with some mental health issues - namely anxiety and depression. This has NOT resulted in my pets' care being compromised (I have one cat and five gerbils - who live in three tanks). But it has resulted in a fear that I'm doing something wrong or upsetting Onyx (my cat) in a way that he can't "forgive."

Examples: accidentally kicking him when he gets under my feet. Working hard to keep him away from the gerbils.  Picking him up when he's not in the mood.

Most of the time I know that these things won't harm him in the long run, but I worry because I've read about how cats pick up on human emotions; their trust has to be earned; and something I don't notice could turn into redirected aggression. 

I love Onyx very much and he's nearly the perfect kitten (great litter box habits, affectionate, playful) so I don't have any basis for these fear, aside from what I've read about things that COULD happen. 

My questions are: 1.) Are these legitimate concerns? 1 a.) What can I do to ensure he stays happy and loving? 2.) If cats pick up on human emotions, should I avoid him when I'm feeling down?

Thank you all for your insights. 

photogirl843

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I suffer with bi-polar depression, with some mild anxiety. I completely understand the feeling. I've had some tough times in the past couple of years. At one point, literally the only reason I am still here today is my cats. They were the only thing that kept me going. 

Sounds like your anxiety is playing up your fears. We are all worried that we aren't doing a good enough job for our pets, and having anxiety and other mental struggles can make it that much more of a scary thought. 

Just remember this - Onyx may be irritated at some things, but that's him being a cat. A little aggravation or even grumbling doesn't mean he won't forgive you. You love him and are doing the best for him, so take comfort in that. 

Animals can sense human emotions, but it generally doesn't mean they will always feed off it. Sometimes they will come closer when you're not feeling well, other times they may leave you alone. It should not affect him negatively in the way you're thinking. He won't become anxious or depressed if you are. As long as his needs are met, he should be perfectly fine. 

It is a very good thing to have Onyx when you're going through something like this. It gives you something to look forward to, a reason to remember you have to keep trying. Animals keep you present and can give you a purpose when nothing else seems to matter. They need you, even when you don't think the rest of the world does. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lizcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I suffer with bi-polar depression, with some mild anxiety. I completely understand the feeling. I've had some tough times in the past couple of years. At one point, literally the only reason I am still here today is my cats. They were the only thing that kept me going. 

Sounds like your anxiety is playing up your fears. We are all worried that we aren't doing a good enough job for our pets, and having anxiety and other mental struggles can make it that much more of a scary thought. 

Just remember this - Onyx may be irritated at some things, but that's him being a cat. A little aggravation or even grumbling doesn't mean he won't forgive you. You love him and are doing the best for him, so take comfort in that. 

Animals can sense human emotions, but it generally doesn't mean they will always feed off it. Sometimes they will come closer when you're not feeling well, other times they may leave you alone. It should not affect him negatively in the way you're thinking. He won't become anxious or depressed if you are. As long as his needs are met, he should be perfectly fine. 

It is a very good thing to have Onyx when you're going through something like this. It gives you something to look forward to, a reason to remember you have to keep trying. Animals keep you present and can give you a purpose when nothing else seems to matter. They need you, even when you don't think the rest of the world does. 
Thank you so much for your kind words. They were exactly what I needed to hear.  Sometimes I have to remind myself that he wouldn't be happier back at the shelter or if he had chosen another adopter.

One of my coping mechanisms is to bring him into Petco to get his nails clipped because I live alone and he doesn't enjoy the process. 

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Hi there,

I too have anxiety and depression. I think you are doing the right thing by having pets, your emotions will not hurt your cat. If anything they often become intune to your emotions and may hover and stay by your side when you are struggling.

I have lived with these emotions for so many years that It is almost predictable when I will have a spell. The time that is hard for me is winter when we don't get enough sunlight. I have three cats. One of them will snuggle with me when I am crying. She comes running jumps up on my lap and starts kneading and purring until I stop crying. I am so thankful to her. She makes life worth living. She is always by my side and never gets tired of me petting her. Although sometimes she gets irritated with me if I bug her while she is sleeping and I will receive a little nip to warn me. But right after she will lick my hand.

I think having our furbabies is the best thing. I don't think we cause harm to them. We are only human. And we have ups and downs. Some kitties and dogs also have fluxating moods. I think you can take a deep breathe because you are not harming your kitty. And He knows you need him. And he needs you as much as you need him. I know my babies make me feel safe and once I feel safe some of my anxiety floats out the door. But not always. I just try to use the focus on my five senses when it acts up. Paying attention to what I can see, feel, hear, smell and taste in the moment. Her soft fur. Her smell of kitty fluff,..whatever I see in front of me...whatever I have been eating recently..I think they call this mindfulness. Its a good little trick to help keep me grounded. Especially when flashbacks and bad memories make me upset and angry. I try to distract myself with playing with her and she helps keep my mind off the bullcrap.

kitty kisser

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I also suffer from bi-polar disorder it is hard for my friends and family to understand. I don't understand it myself just that it is hereditary in my family. I feel my cats act a little bi- polar and they comfort me. My therapist is very much in favor of animals as part of my therapy. He even tried to convince my husband to get me a horse. LOL
I don't wish this disorder on anyone yet it's nice to hear I'm not the only one suffering. I wish I was normal so many times. Thank God for my medications that seem to be working.

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've had depression in the past and more recently problems with anxiety...I should probably talk to someone about it, really, but I am still trying to cope on my own.

I found my cat was very helpful to have around. It made me feel like I had a purpose and a responsibility to take care of her.  To get up and feed her everyday, etc. Cats definitely pick up on our emotions, but they may not always get sad because you are. They might even come to comfort you. 

I think you are doing just fine. It shows you care if you are worrying about them, but I think @photogirl843  said it perfectly. We all worry we aren't doing good enough, but if his needs are met, he is healthy, etc. you are doing a good job! You have to remember to take care of yourself, too, which is something I sometime struggle with because I put pets first.

It is really helpful for people with depression, anxiety or other mental illness to have a pet to help them cope and comfort them. That is why there are comfort pets that visit senior homes and other places! Animals have a very special skill of making us feel better, and it is a beautiful thing for you to take care of them and get love in return.