Cats And Hot Water Bottles?

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a small apartment and dont use a heater as my apartment warms easily and tends to get humid rather than warm when I have used a heater.
I now have an 18 month old desexed female who at times avoids me (as a source of warmth) and is not always a fan of blankets.
I'm cosidering wrapping a hot water bottle in a cat blanket to keep her warm.
Are there any health concerns for using these?
Does it affect her ability to produce body heat?
My hot water system can produce almost boiling water, can it be too hot?
Any advice welcome!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Many cats love to sleep on something warm, even in the hot summer. A hot water bottle wrapped in a folded towel or blanket is fine.The blanket or towel will prevent burns to your cat. Don't worry if your cat never sleeps on the hot water bottle. Some cats are fine keeping themselves warm.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I agree, it should be fine as long as you are wrapping the hot water bottle - also, take care not to use water that is any where near scalding. Cats are not able to sense hot and cold other than on their paw pads and lips so can not tell if something is burning them. Think of your cat as like a little baby and avoid anything too much above regular body temperature - gradual, long term warmth is best for them so moderately warm hot water bottle wrapped in a cover should be about right. Your cat will love the option to be somewhere cozy yet have the choice to move away if she wants to.