Cats and dogs???

sphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am new to this forum, and am looking forward to getting lots of info from this site. It has been a long time since I have had a kitten in the house, and am discovering once again what a lot of fun they are

I added a Sphynx kitten to our household on Wednesday and I have a four and a half year old French Bulldog in the house as well, and I would love them to be buddies. My Frenchie spent 2 years with my elderly cats before they passed on, so she is no stranger to cats. When we did the introduction, we kept Phoebe (Bully) on a lead, and she was a total angel. She has totally taken the whole thing in her stride and is very accepting of Gollum. He, however, hisses and growls at her when he encounters her, even if she is lying peacefully on the floor. I am with them all the time to make sure it all goes smoothly, and do you think that with time he will be able to be comfortable around her?

Any tips on making him more comfortable around her? At the moment Gollum is sleeping in the bed with my daughter, and Phoebe is sleeping in her usual spot in my bed with me and hubby. Do you think this is OK that they don't share the bed just yet?

I would really appreciate any advice and tips

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just give them time and don't worry about if they are sleeping together yet. It takes a long time for a dog a cat to adjust to each other sometimes. It could be your kitty has either never seen a dog before yours. Or he may have had a bad experience with a dog and he doesn't know some dogs are nice. Just give them space and let them get used to one another as long as they aren't hurting each other.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Tavia'smom
. The hissing is getting less and Gollum will walk by Phoebe now without too much concern. Last night when Phoebe was eating, Gollum went up to share her food and Phoebe was totally happy with it, but he - the little monkey - hissed at her! It was so cute. Last night both Phoebe and Gollum slept in the bed with me, so things are definitely looking up.

I am battling to type.. Gollum is sitting on my keyboard, watching each letter that pops up!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long have you had the kitten? If its only a short time (less then a month), be patient. Some cats take longer to adjust to a stranger (dog or cat).

I would not worry about if/when they sleep on the same bed. Our cats NEVER sleep with the dog!

sphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Gollum is a kitten, born on 25 April, and to be fair, he only arrived here last Wednesday. Once we have settled down a bit, pics on the way

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Phoebe sounds like such a sweetheart
And Gollum is just erring on the side of caution - I was delighted to read that he is coming around quickly
What a wonderful opportunity for your kitty! I used to have a German Shep/Husky mix that just adored her kitties - after she passed away (cancer), her cat, Cubby (her foster son, whom she helped raise from tiny kittenhood) was so greived. My dad shortly thereafter got a Arctic Wolf/White Ger. Shep mix named Shiloh, who looks a lot like Tasha did and Cubby has adopted her completely! And Cubby is very well protected

Congratulations on adding Gollum to the family!

sphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsknowme

Phoebe sounds like such a sweetheart
And Gollum is just erring on the side of caution - I was delighted to read that he is coming around quickly
What a wonderful opportunity for your kitty! I used to have a German Shep/Husky mix that just adored her kitties - after she passed away (cancer), her cat, Cubby (her foster son, whom she helped raise from tiny kittenhood) was so greived. My dad shortly thereafter got a Arctic Wolf/White Ger. Shep mix named Shiloh, who looks a lot like Tasha did and Cubby has adopted her completely! And Cubby is very well protected

Congratulations on adding Gollum to the family!
Awww, that is such a lovely story
. I can only hope that my Phoebe and Gollum can share such a special relationship as your Shep/Husky and Cubby. Thanks for sharing