Cats and dogs

Catherine32

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone so this past Monday I had to let my 14 year old dog go. She was a wonderful dog and we miss her dearly. We also have a 4 yr old pit bull who loves our cats. We want to get a new dog eventually. Now I know the best way to introduce two dogs. Plus my Lena loves everyone so that won't be a issue. My concern is my boys what's the best way to introduce my boys to a new dog. I will make sure if it's not a puppy that the new dog does well with cats and other animals. Luckily our local rescue test them for this. Also my boys are scared of new people and anything else they don't know.. Bandit can get a little swatty with his paws as well.. Photo added because it's one of my favorites of my Lena and my Smokey.
Screenshot_20220508-075806_Gallery~2.jpg

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about your dog:( I lost my 14 year old Chesapeake bay retriever last September and it's still so hard.

Love that photo of Lena and Smokey:) Pit bulls/bully breed mixes are my absolute favorite!!!!

I think the most important thing with a new dog would be to make sure the cats have a dog free space to retreat to. I have a baby gate with a cat door that works well for this. Then, the cats can make their introductions at their own pace.

Good luck finding your new family member!! I've been looking for a second dog too, but I also have a new baby (human) so it's probably a little too soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catherine32

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thats a great idea and I have the perfect place for that. Pits are my favorite to. I mean just look at this face. Thanks and good luck as well.
20220508_180644.jpg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have always had dogs and cats; in fact, since the passing of my last GSD 3 months ago, this is the first time that I have not had both. I usually had GSDs, who are very motivated to please their owner and easily trainable, but it also worked with a Jack Russell with a pretty high prey drive. It sounds as if you know what you are doing with introductions and I think that the most important thing is that the cats know that they can take this at their own pace and have a place to retreat.

Your baby is beautiful. He reminds me of a pitty I used to baby sit who absolutely loved cats.