Cats And Diarrhea.

davidc59

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi ,one or more of my 3 cats are suffering from diarrhea,don't know what is causing it .
They have been fed the same food for a long time ,Felix pouch food and Iams dry food .
Starting to cut back on the wet food ,only a third of a pouch two times a day ,i have got to be careful as two of them are male .There is always plenty of fresh water for them .

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, rather than cutting back on wet food, try a brand change. The manufacturer of your old food may have made a formula revision that isn't settling well with your kitties, and unfortunately this happens frequently.
Add a little plain pumpkin to their diet. You also could boil a 50-50 unseasoned chicken and rice mixture for them.
Both help upset tummies.
I'd also suggest, If you haven't really recently to get them in to a vet.
Hang in there!!

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
First I would rule out an underlying health issue. If it’s happening to more than one cat it could indicate something like parasites or a virus. Do your cats go outside? You may want to do a vet visit.

In terms of food- dry food is more likely to cause diarrhea than wet because it has more unnecessary carb sources that cats can’t process properly. Wet food tends to make cats poop less and have less smelly and healthier poop because there is less “waste” to rid of.

Edit: forgot to mention that cats experiencing diarrhea can become dehydrated quickly so it’s even more important at this time to make sure they are getting enough water. I definitely wouldn’t cut out wet food. If you suspect that it might be the brand of wet food you are feeding you can try to slowly transition to a new brand of wet. But make sure the transition is slow as it could cause more tummy upset.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

davidc59

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi ,thanks for all the advice ,they get a Drontal worm tablet every 3 months ,they do leave half eaten Birds and Mice around the garden .

I buy my cat food from Bitiba ,which is a German company ,all the pouch.s have German on them .
I could switch back to Whiskas wet food .
The only way i would know for sure which cat it is ,is to lock them in different rooms with a litter tray or two .
I will phone the vet tomorrow .

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi ,thanks for all the advice ,they get a Drontal worm tablet every 3 months ,they do leave half eaten Birds and Mice around the garden .

I buy my cat food from Bitiba ,which is a German company ,all the pouch.s have German on them .
I could switch back to Whiskas wet food .
The only way i would know for sure which cat it is ,is to lock them in different rooms with a litter tray or two .
I will phone the vet tomorrow .
The Drontal tablet won’t protect against all possible diseases so it would be good to see a vet.