Cats And Dairy

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes i read weird things...lol ... I have never had a constipated cat, but i see a lot of post about it. so i got to thinking, one of the foods i feed has cheese in it, cheese is constipating to some people, so i wonder about with cats.

Google searched about cats, cheese and constipation, and seems the majority of information shows that yes, cheese can cause constipation in cats...

However several places said Milk is just the opposite. That for cats with constipation issue milk is a good home remedy? Not to give it to cats with a blockage, don't do that. But if they have constipation up to 1/8th of a cup of whole milk, twice a day may be very helpful? Most places did recommend starting with smaller amounts, and work up to the 1/8th cup twice daily, if needed. Just wondered if any one had tried this, or read about it?

I should also say, check with your vet first. This was just something i was reading, not advising anyone to do it.

Last edited:

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I never did that but my aunt had 15 cats at one time and if her cats were constipated she would give them milk and I guess it worked. If they had UTI's she would put a little cranberry juice in their water, too.
I remember years ago when I was growing up we regularly gave our cats milk or dry food with milk in it. The neighbors did that too. I don't know why. I guess we were ignorant country people.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never did that but my aunt had 15 cats at one time and if her cats were constipated she would give them milk and I guess it worked. If they had UTI's she would put a little cranberry juice in their water, too.
I remember years ago when I was growing up we regularly gave our cats milk or dry food with milk in it. The neighbors did that too. I don't know why. I guess we were ignorant country people.
I remember my mom giving our cats milk as a treat when i was a kid. I dont drink a lot of milk, so i dont ever think to see if my guys would like it. I have one that will eat your whole bowl of ice cream if you let him :)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats are typically lactose intolerant (meaning most are but some aren't as severe). So it would work by triggering uncomfortable bowel movements but it would also lead to gas buildup.

Pumpkin is generally a better natural remedy without the uncomfortable side effects.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had a cat who lived to be 18 years old and she ate everything with no problems. Chili, spaghetti, salad, whatever I ate she licked the plate and drank left over cereal milk. Then all this information came out about stuff you shouldn't give your cats. Well, she ate it all with no problems.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a cat who lived to be 18 years old and she ate everything with no problems. Chili, spaghetti, salad, whatever I ate she licked the plate and drank left over cereal milk. Then all this information came out about stuff you shouldn't give your cats. Well, she ate it all with no problems.
funny how different cats can be. mine dont get much in the way of people food, not sure why, we just never have, and they dont seem to want it. except lunch meat, rotisserie chicken and ice cream...lol..... but even with cat food i have 1 that can and does eat anything and everything, no issues ever. I have another that foods can upset his system easily. other two are somewhere in between.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The majority of cats are lactose intolerant. I grew up on a farm many years ago and giving a constipated cat milk was old country vet's advice. I remember some neighbors of ours had two dairy cows just for their own dairy needs, they always made the best homemade ice cream. I was out in the barn when he was milking by hand and like most farmers he had barn cats and they were all lined up waiting. He would squirt them with milk and that was a big treat for them.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i haven't given my cats people food since that one cat I had except Timmer would cry for turkey lunch meat and roasted chicken. He usually only had a couple bites and was satisfied. i think his previous owner probably gave him some lunch meat. I rarely eat turkey or lunch meat but he sure knew about it and knew what it was.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i haven't given my cats people food since that one cat I had except Timmer would cry for turkey lunch meat and roasted chicken. He usually only had a couple bites and was satisfied. i think his previous owner probably gave him some lunch meat. I rarely eat turkey or lunch meat but he sure knew about it and knew what it was.
if we have deli lunch meat, roasted chicken, or ice cream we are expected to share :)

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
funny how different cats can be. mine dont get much in the way of people food, not sure why, we just never have, and they dont seem to want it. except lunch meat, rotisserie chicken and ice cream...lol..... but even with cat food i have 1 that can and does eat anything and everything, no issues ever. I have another that foods can upset his system easily. other two are somewhere in between.
I just de-boned a Costco rotisserie chicken and I had three screaming kitties camped out by my feet. :) “Gimmegimmegimmegimmegimmegimmegimmegimmegimme....”