Cats And Catfish

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i find it a bit nuts my cats dont go crazy over raw chunks of catfish fillets i fillet my catfish i catch and i try to give them chunks of it i dont eat i guess since catfish doesnt have a real fishy smell it doesnt quite attract them but was curious what you think of giving themraw catfish?

i have =boiled whole catfish for them in the past which they ate but was curious if it would be better to give them raw catfish as well its a easy food source i can get them

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
You could give it to them as a treat...it's a great source of protein!... but strictly feeding them the fish by itself (no added vitamins, minerals, etc.) as entire meals could make them very sick in the long run.

That is strange that they won't eat it! Cats have some crazy tastes sometimes! Where do you catch it? Maybe the catfish smell off because the pond/river/lake where you caught them has some toxins or runoff that they can smell.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some kinds of raw fish have thiaminase, which can cause thiamine deficiency if you feed it too often. Some species of catfish have it and some don't so I can't say for sure. Here's a list, although I don't know how complete it is: Thiaminase in Raw Fish

But also, ugh, river fish have a lot of parasites. I would cook it. They'll probably like it better that way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You could give it to them as a treat...it's a great source of protein!... but strictly feeding them the fish by itself (no added vitamins, minerals, etc.) as entire meals could make them very sick in the long run.

That is strange that they won't eat it! Cats have some crazy tastes sometimes! Where do you catch it? Maybe the catfish smell off because the pond/river/lake where you caught them has some toxins or runoff that they can smell.

well yeah it wont b the bulk of diet ill make it a big meal maybe once a week or 2

they ended up eating it they dontlike t eat n front of me unless its something they absolutely love its like they think they are slick and are stealing it from me lol