Cats And Cars

Stephg143

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ever see those cats that don’t turn into the poltergeist while in a moving vehicle? I wish I had one of those... My 7 month old (1 of 2) bit/clawed a hole in one of those cardboard cat carriers today! I couldn’t believe my eyes, those things aren’t thin. I don’t take them in the car very often at all, maybe 4 times total since they were 4 weeks old. They absolutely hate it! They meow so loud and scratch at the sides of the carrier the WHOLE time. not only do I feel bad but today was a huge distraction. Thankfully I didn’t crash!

Suggestions?? Besides having them get used to the car, which I don’t foresee happening. How do you keep your fur baby calm and feeling safe during car rides?
Thanks

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Buy a study plastic carrier like this one Petmate Two Door Top Load Pet Kennel

Most cats hate being in a carrier and the car ride because they know that a scary person who may smell like dogs will be poking and prodding them. There's not much you can do about it :dunno: Some people have success with spraying the inside of the carrier with Feliway.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Get a secure hard carrier with a good latch on its door. Throwing a blanket over it may calm kitty down some but most will still wail and sometimes scratch while in the carrier. I always set my carrier in back seat since it is dark and the least bouncy spot. I have tried a seatbelt to secure the carrier but haven’t been successful with that.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mine like being able to see out and look at me during the ride, so a cardboard carrier would definitely distress them. They've also never been super bothered by car rides, just the initial placement into the carrier. After that, they just complain to me a bit.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whatever else you do, do not let the cats ride lose in the car. Yes, a few like to look out the windows, but the first time a huge truck, a motorcycle or the like goes by... You have to get help to take some of the seats out of the car to retrieve the cat. Or to chase the cat when he dashes away as you lift the seat. Some feel secure under the brake pedal.

One cat, I knew personally, decided the best thing to do was to clamp his hands over the driver's eyes.

Hard plastic carrier is worth every penny, even if you have to give up lunch for a couple of weeks.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have 8 cats. Two of them have no trouble on car trips. The other six will ALWAYS poop, pee, or puke. Sometimes one will do all three. Vet visits are not only traumatic for them, but also smelly.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
We have 8 cats. Two of them have no trouble on car trips. The other six will ALWAYS poop, pee, or puke. Sometimes one will do all three. Vet visits are not only traumatic for them, but also smelly.
Another good reason for a hard carrier. Much easier to clean and disinfect after a blowout or pukefest.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just an addendum to my first reply: my cats stay in carriers, but they can see out on three sides. These are soft carriers, mind you.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A carrier is a carrier in terms of keeping the cats from helping you drive. On the other hand, seat belts for dogs keep them from helping you drive. You have missed a point of excitement if you've never driven with a Labrador standing on your seat-belt.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You could also try a product called Rescue Remedy - it a non-alcoholic version of human form that is perfectly safe to use on cats to provide a calming effect.