Cats and bleach scent

badenzoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our newest feline companion, taken in as a stray just after Christmas, is all-white "Jacques."
Whenever I have been cleaning with bleach, and have the scent lingering on my hands, he goes crazy! He flops over, closes his eyes, licks my hand (and won't let go)- gently bites my fingers, and acts like he's been into the catnip!
Will this hurt him in any way? I've heard of cats urinating on freshly done laundry, and urine marking bleach scented clothing, but he does none of that; he loves it!
Second question: The vet who neutered him estimates he is between 1-3 years old. He was living as a stray in a local feral cat colony at an apartment complex, where he foraged for food out of a dumpster.
Consequently, Jacques will eat anything! He even tested the cat litter when he was first introduced to it. Yesterday, he tried the coffee right out of the can, before I could get to him. He steals food from the dogs, (they let him)- even though he has dry food available at all times, and wet food once per day. He eats spaghetti and meatballs, tuna casserole, any leftovers he can scrounge. Will this harm him in any way?
He is such a goof-ball; plays like a kitten, and most amazing of all, our adult toms accept him! No spraying, (so far) and no hostility.
He ambushes feet, hides on stairways, and is just tons of fun. We're going to have to get him the "Crazy Cat" beastie band!

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could hurt him if he actually ate bleach, but I wanted to let you know it's not just him. My Jordan is a maniac when I clean with bleach. There are only a couple places I use bleach. The toilet, the bath tub & once in a while the kitchen sink, but let him smell that bleach & he goes mental. Exact same stuff your talking about. So I'm super careful to rinse very throughly any where I use bleach that he might get at (I don't worry about the toilet because I keep the lid closed unless I'm using it). Jordan also used to be a big time garbage diver. He was found as a stray when he was 3 months old so I wonder I think he must have been a scavenger. He's now almost 3 years old. He's gotten much better he used to go in the garbage can at leaste once a day every day, now he only does it when he smells something he really wants. When I first got him he actually took a bite out of a pickle I was eating. It's cute, but garbage diving can be dangerous depending on what's in the garbage can.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

badenzoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thankfully, Jacques doesn't garbage-dive, he just takes it right off our plates!
(When we're done, and put the plates aside.)

petnurse2265

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Spirit, Sturgis, and Trouble all love the smell of bleach. When I do a load of whites Spirit will bury herself in the middle of the clothes with just her eyes peeking out.

evalyster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently did a load of whites and used bleach on them.. Ever since I brought them to my room, my cat has gone absolutely nuts, smelling it, rubbing on it, attacking the fabric. And it's making him so hyper to the point where he is trying to aggressively play with my hand when I stop him from smelling it.

So my question is, is it safe to let him smell the fabrics? Should I let him keep going, or stop him?

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be careful with the bleach. It could be very harmful if he licks it. Bleach is caustic. There was a thread on here about a cat that was very sick with bleach poisoning. Keep your cat away from coffee, it is toxic to cats if they get enough. Same goes for onions and garlic (in leftovers).

I'm not trying to worry you. Just keep him away from these things in the future now that you know.

My cat was always getting into the trashcan but now I use one called Simplehuman with an attatched lid that closes flush and believe me it IS cat proof!

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wash the stuff again to get rid of the smell, and use bleach very, very sparingly.  it's caustic, it damages surfaces, it damages skin if you spill some on yourself.

I used to use bleach on litter trays until I saw the damage it did, and I have seen a kitten going nuts on the hint of smell left.  Don't have any in the house now, and I find that drying clothes outside keeps the whites white.

evalyster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would be careful with the bleach. It could be very harmful if he licks it. Bleach is caustic. There was a thread on here about a cat that was very sick with bleach poisoning. Keep your cat away from coffee, it is toxic to cats if they get enough. Same goes for onions and garlic (in leftovers).
I had no idea about the coffee, onions and garlic.. thank you!

janicepatrice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 1 year old "kitten" who acts like he is eating my hands after I have been cleaning with bleach.  He gets really into chowing down on them.  He is the first I have had do this.  I did read on other sites about similar stuff.  I thought it was the oddest thing.