Cats and baths, my baths!!

avalon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, it's not exactly a problem, though it could turn into one.

I like taking a nice hot long bath once in a while. As I've never closed the bathroom door to my babies, well, they come in and watch. Mostly they just sit around and look at me as if I were mad, but Pooka (my eldest and my feline bodyguard) sometimes gets very worried and will walk around the rim of the bath. One day he'll fall in and we'll have a tragedy. If I sit up he'll relax, a bit. But it is cold in my bathroom... Popoki is even funnier, he just love bubbles and will stick his foot in and then realize amazed that it's wet!!!

I'm not looking for solutions (the easiest would be to close the door) but to see if this happens to anyone else.

zoe'n'misskitty

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Zoe does that all the time. She will sit right on the edge of the tub and reach down into the water to play with my toes. I think it's a cat thing, because I know other people whose cats do the same thing.
Zoe has fallen in a couple of times, but no one has been hurt. lol She always comes back for more.

jennf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We had a cat that used to do this. It was almost a bath tradition. She like to play "find the toes" in the suds. I haven't taken a bubble bath since we got the new kittens, but it wouldn't shock me to see the same sort of behaviour from them. They love running water. In fact, Pippin went scampering into the shower this morning when I turned it on.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dori does the same thing! She sits right on the edge of the tub and attacks my toes.
She hasn't fallen in yet, but it's coming. She gets closer and closer to the edge each time. I am worried when that time comes though because she doesn't like water much. I know she will freak out and the claws will be out in full force

purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cupid will sit on the rack I have that goes across the tub, to hold bath stuff, and to keep my magazine from getting wet. I put a towel in it so he doesn't fall through, and he will sit there and watch me. One time, I thought he looked so comfortable around the water that maybe he wouldn't mind getting in, so I picked him up and raised my legs so the water would be shallow there, and nope...he wasn't comfortable. He still goes in there to watch. Sometimes he will attack my razor (he won't get hurt) when I'm shaving.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

avalon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, apart from my baths, when I'm at the toilet
they will all try to sit on my lap. My b/f hated it, but as I never close the bathroom door, well, everybody comes in at their leisure

bluewolf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
all you have to remember is that if they DO fall in... dont rush to help. .. i mean... if the cat cant climb out go ahead and help but if they fall in and you rush in to save them all the sounds and fast movements you make will only add to the fear and confusion. give them a minute to take in what is happening then wait for the cat to look to you for help or get out on their own. after they get out you can usually pet them down with a towel and the whole experiance will be a fun and cute memory and not a story at work about how you got cat scratches up and down your arm

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Harley sits on the edge of the tub whenever I'm taking a shower or a bath! I think its a cat thing!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine have all fallen in at one time or another as they all love to be on the edge of thebath. The two boys are just learning it is fun to be in the bathroom with Meowmi - Wellington has already got wet!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

avalon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

Harley sits on the edge of the tub whenever I'm taking a shower or a bath! I think its a cat thing!
Well mine don't if it's a shower, they get too wet... But one day somebody'll fall in. The question will be they grade of histerics.

kathrynhawkbond

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a cat who likes to sit on my lap when I'm on the toilet, but the funny thing is one day while I was running the water for a bath, mind you Wesley is normally always with me in the bathroom when I'm in there. Well the water wasn't too deep, but Wesley had no clue there was water in the tub and he jumped in
poor boy got his legs wet, but he is fine.

Of course then there's my middle cat she LOVES water, yeah I know they say most hate water, but my Tasha she LOVES it, she will paw out the water from our water-bowl a lot of times, it gets frustrating at times, but its still funny

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am currently fostering a former feral boy, Beau. He's an adult, and hasn't grown up in a home, so he doesn't know that bubbles = water. Just a week or so ago we had a near disaster. I was in the tub, and he was sitting outside the bathroom door. After awhile he came to the side of the tub (new for him when I'm in it), then he put his paws on the edge of the tub (really new for him, and my radar went up!). I stopped it when I saw him rear back for a leap!
He's a big, big boy, and he has never even been on my lap, so I had visions of my legs in tatters as he panicked trying to get out of the tub...I'll wait for a more opportune moment for him to jump in my lap for the first time.

amazongodess

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a very odd cat, when he was a kitten he was fascinated the bath and would try to get as close to the water as possible. One day he tried to get in and stand on my stomache. I picked him up and put him on my tummy which was not in the water. He seemed a bit wary at first but then realized it was ok and sat there watching the water. He eventually got bored and hoped back onto the side of the tub, but i used this to my advantage and slowly got him used to warm bath water by lowering m stomache alittle each time i had a bath so his toeas got wet. Eventually I could very easily bathe him. He would just stand in the warm water (this time on his own) and let me wash him. It was the weirdest thing..but he was a weird cat! Anyways, cats can swim they just usually don't like water.

cass!e

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i dont' take baths but sparky likes to sit on the corner of the tub and peek around the curtain while i'm showering. sometimes he'll get in the tub, but hops back out when he realizes it's wet. he likes to lick my toes when i get out of the shower...

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Twitch loves bath time! I have a special knock that I use just for bath time(she's deaf). I knock on the floor & she comes running. She leaps right in the tub for a good swim. Sometimes she gets mad at me when I get in! She will actually go swimming. She likes it when I run the jets(Whirlpool bathtub
). She gets most of her exercise that way! We have to keep toilet lids down or she "swims" in those, too.

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got 4, and when I take a bath to relax (most every night), all 4 must be there. They howl and scratch at the door if I don't let them in. (Believe me - I've tried - peace and quiet would be nice once and a while). It's always - One on the toilet, two on the rim of the tub (one half balancing on my leg in the water and drinking it, the other playing with the bubbles), and one who paces and plays with the faucet drips. They've all taken a "swim" at one point or another with the exception of the toilet goddess - she's the oldest and most dominent and isn't dumb enough to get near the bath herself - but she's not stupid either - she's knocked them in by walking past them while they are on the rim and hissing at them.....they get scared, jump back, and splash.....haha. They've also knocked each other in by playing on both sides of the shower curtain - one will attack the other through the curtain and again - splash.
They don't seem overly disturbed about it. The reaction now is mainly - "damn, I did it again" and off they go to dry off....haha.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
my younger 2 are very interested in the bubbles... they reach out & paw at them. i think it's because they look solid! Pixel is an old hand at bathtime behavior - sit on the toilet seat & watch for a while, then move to the bath mat. leave when the shower starts. the other 2 are still walking on the rim - even after having fallen in [leg only] a couple of times!

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lucky and Rambo are both so curious about the bathtub. Lucky plays a game of peekaboo with me from the shower curtain. To surprise me once she lept up, slipped and went butt first into the water.
The look on her face and her trying to exit with dignity! I wish i had a camera!

lj_cox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When Jacquelline was young, she used to run into the bathroom, leap into the (empty) tub, slide around and leap out again. It was a great game! I thought "this is fraught," and sure enough, one day I was standing in the tub drying off, with the water maybe 6-8 inches deep, and in she races. I had just enough time to say "Don't!" when she did. Leapt into the tub, front legs go in, splash! And, I swear, she instantaneously levitated back up and out of the tub, doing a 180 in midair. When I caught up to her to dry her off (it took a while because I was laughing so hard) her front legs were soaked. Her hind legs were absolutely dry. Proof that cats can teleport, given enough incentive!

No one else has come as close to getting a soaking, though several of our cats will come check us out in the tub, standing on the rim and peering at us. "Do you know that's water? What are you doing!?" they seem to say as they watch us anxiously.

Linda C.