Cats And Babies.

gareth

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ren and Mia. Ren is Mia's baby. If Loki comes to close or tries to lie on top of Ren, Mia gives him a slap around the head.

IMG_0091.jpg

Last edited:

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Did you do any prep work with the cats before Ren was born, or when you first brought her home?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

gareth

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you do any prep work with the cats before Mia was born, or when you first brought her home?
That's a good question, and the answer is yes.

1. We played baby screaming sounds for a few minutes a day, leading up to an hour a day, throughout the pregnency
2. We set up the cot well in advance and filled it with tins of baked beans, so they learned it was not a comfortable place to sleep.
3. We had friends bring babies and children round to get them used to it
4. We switched to using baby shampoo and body wash ourselves, so they got used to the smells
5. We made sure we had burmese cats :)
6. We made sure the cats had safe places to go

In terms of introducing her, we got them used to the smells by letting them sleep on baby clothes for a couple of days, but TBH we introduced her immediately and they just started licking her face. We didn't want them to be stuck in a room wondering why they were being excluded. Burmese cats go mental if you try to lock them away from you.

Perhaps most importantly, we haven't tried to keep them separate at all, so there has been no jealousy. The cats don't sleep with the baby in the cot, that's the only rule. I see so many parents freaking out when their cat goes near the baby and picking it up and throwing it out of the room etc, is it any wonder the cats get annoyed. We made a massive effort when Ren arrived NOT to focus completely on her, so all our animals continued to feel safe and loved.

ileen

Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry just realized Mia is the cat, Ren is the baby. I edited my original post. Some good tips there. Is Mia the alpha in general with regards to Loki?

gareth

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry just realized Mia is the cat, Ren is the baby. I edited my original post. Some good tips there. Is Mia the alpha in general with regards to Loki?
Not in the slightest. Loki weighs twice as much as Mia and regularly beats the crap out of her until she runs away. With the baby, however, Mia is very much the boss.

ileen

Super Cat
Purraise
How old is Ren? How does she react to Mia?

gareth

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is Ren? How does she react to Mia?
17 weeks. And yeah, she does. she smiles when she sees her, and is starting to reach towards her.

gareth

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't be jealous if in less than a year from now her first word is Mia instead of Dada or Mama.
That would actually be awesome.