Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Leave them with friends.

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

freyaandzelda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey all! So I have the amazing opportunity to go to China for 15 months, and I am freaking out about what to do with my cats. Should i take them with me? The thought of leaving them for a year kills me, but I'm not sure that taking them on a 35 hour flight is the best option either. I know Nora will not be able to come, as she is already old and anxious enough, but I still havent decided on my other two. I need opinions, and maybe information from someone who has been through this before.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! There have been a couple of threads previously of similar situations.
Consider the water changes including lack of quality, clean water, the stress of flying, and the fact that every time you're changing planes, your cats are at risk even if you have them in the cabin with you. If they get sick you don't have vet care. You will be so busy there, the time will pass very quickly.
Leave the cats here, all together and have a wonderful time:)!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
First you need to find out if there are quarantine requirements taking animals into China. Then are there quarantine requirements returning to the U.S.

Also be aware that many airlines do not allow pets in cabin on international flights. You could be limited to sending them cargo.

There is also the cost involved. My brother and SIL took their two cats when they moved out of the U.S. It cost them about $1,000 to get both of them there, more than it cost to get themselves there.

How soon would you be leaving? Do you have time to do all the research you need to before then?

ETA: That should have been $1,000 each to get the 2 cats moved.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

freyaandzelda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will be leaving in about 4 months.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I will be leaving in about 4 months.
That should give you enough time to do some research and make arrangements either to take the kitties with you or leave them with someone you trust.

Check out this website Returning to the United States with Pets
It looks like it might be more complicated to bring your cats back into the U.S. than to take them to China in the first place.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I Kindly suggest to leave them with your most trusted person or persons, as moving could stress the cats. 15 months is not really a long time, coming from someone who also works abroad. Otherwise, if staying there is longer than 15 months, you could also weigh the options. Are you going to stay in a flat or a villa in China? What about the neighborhood? Is it pet friendly? Are the vet clinics accessible? There are many factors that you can consider before bringing them with you, plus the fact that when the time is up and you have to return, your own country could be quite strict in importing live animals. Goodluck. I wish only the best for you and your kitties.