Catnip

abby robertson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I appologise if this is posted in the wrong section, but i wasnt sure what category it would be under.

I was thinking about buying my boys some catnip ... it comes in packets like this..ive never used catnip and im unsure how much to give them?? They are 4 months old 

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise

I appologise if this is posted in the wrong section, but i wasnt sure what category it would be under.

I was thinking about buying my boys some catnip ... it comes in packets like this..ive never used catnip and im unsure how much to give them?? They are 4 months old 
. I put some in an old sock, tightly knotted at the end and my boy tosses it around like a toy

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can also put cat toys (furry mice, balls, etc) into the bag to "marinate" and absorb the catnip smell
Take a toy out and give it to the cats to play with. No need to shake off the catnip that might cling to the toy. It's perfectly safe for cats to eat. After playtime, the toys can go back in the bag to refresh the catnip smell.

kittywhiskers

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We also use an old sock like bonepicker bonepicker .

Also mine like it sprinkled onto their cardboard scratchers or I've even just put a pile directly onto the hard floor or decking for them to roll around in, it makes a mess but if its indoors I tend to let them have it before I vacuum.

Some cats are not affected by it, my boy wasn't. I hope yours are as its fun to watch! :D

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That packet of catnip reminds me of police photos after big drug busts!

Our cats also love catnip tied up in socks. And our previous cat liked to have it poured right on the rug, like KittyWhiskers mentioned: she usually Hoovered it up so well nothing had to be cleaned!

I think I put about 1 tablespoon of catnip in the socks, sprinkling it in the various layers: I usually use put some catnip in the toe of an old knee sock, knot it toward the bottom and then turn it inside out, onto itself, several times, so it makes a big lump almost like a ball. The cats love to bunny kick it like that. If you sprinkle catnip on the floor, it might not take much.

Sometimes kittens aren't affected by catnip but you won't know until you try!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can also grow catnip
The leaves can be given to a cat as is or dried for later use. Pet stores or gardening stores may have catnip seeds. You can also look in your packet of catnip for teeny tiny black seeds. They're usually in the dried flower part.

Some catnip-resistant cats may have a reaction to honeysuckle instead. I've never tired honeysuckle, though. There are cat toys made with dried honeysuckle.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can also grow catnip :) The leaves can be given to a cat as is or dried for later use. Pet stores or gardening stores may have catnip seeds. You can also look in your packet of catnip for teeny tiny black seeds. They're usually in the dried flower part.

Some catnip-resistant cats may have a reaction to honeysuckle instead. I've never tired honeysuckle, though. There are cat toys made with dried honeysuckle.
I didn't realize honeysuckle was used that way... though we do have a toy with it and our cats do like it. It smells very nice!

We used to grow catnip for our previous cat -- she loved fresh catnip! The new cats were resistant but it might be worth another try. I seem to recall that catnip has a low germination rate, though when it gets going, it really gets going.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't realize honeysuckle was used that way... though we do have a toy with it and our cats do like it. It smells very nice!

We used to grow catnip for our previous cat -- she loved fresh catnip! The new cats were resistant but it might be worth another try. I seem to recall that catnip has a low germination rate, though when it gets going, it really gets going.
Yup, lots of honeysuckle toys you can find in stores these days

http://www.catster.com/lifestyle/kitty-kottage-honeysuckle-cat-toys-alternative-catnip

http://www.kittykottage.com/honeysuckle.htm

It takes about a week for catnip seeds to germinate. I would wait until the plants are about 6 inches high before thinning them out to leave the stronger bigger plants growing in the pot. When a plant has 3 or 4 branches of leaves about 1/2 inch in lenght, you can start picking
Picking helps encourage the plant to grow even bigger. When I grew catnip, I would leave the top inch or two alone to avoid stunting the growth. I would pick everything else under that. I always kept the pot outside where it got a lot of sun and fresh air and  rain. At the end of the season, the top of the plant turns to flowers which will wither and die. That contains the seeds which you can save and let dry and use next season to grow more catnip.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abby robertson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I managed to get a catnip toy mouse for each of my boys today. i will give them one each in bout an hour cos they r eating dinner at the moment 

kamitchell6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can catnip be bad for cats at all? I was under the impression it is completely fine and enjoyable to the cats. The woman from a rescue organization that I adopted 3 semi-ferals from is very opposed. She acted like I made a newbie mistake when I told her I misted the cat tree and scratching posts with catnip spray and was like oh well it's too late to undo.

Last edited:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's pretty safe, though I guess some people are opposed to it because it's like drugging a cat.
Or so a friend once mentioned to me. Personally, I think it's great for lots of cats because it gets them playing and can attract them to scratchers. I don't see where misting a cat tree with catnip spray could be bad at all!

We did have an incident when one of our cats went totally crazy on an old catnip plant, stripping all the dried leaves off some branches and eating quite a bit. We don't know for sure but wonder if that's why she got diarrhea shortly thereafter. We took the plant away and don't give very much loose catnip now!