catnip recommendations ?

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
the brand i normally use for my cat toys , hartz just for cats is not avaliable on any pet store site so i was wondering what you guys would advise me to get instead ?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hands down the best catnip forward cat toys are from Cocktails and Meow, Cat Toys
20221002_163116.jpg

I found them at CatCon a few years ago and now stock up every CatCon. Walking into their booth, you are hit in the face with the catnip. Link absolutely adores their toys and they hold up to his 17 pound self kicking them daily for well over a year.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Hands down the best catnip forward cat toys are from Cocktails and Meow, Cat Toys
View attachment 454884

I found them at CatCon a few years ago and now stock up every CatCon. Walking into their booth, you are hit in the face with the catnip. Link absolutely adores their toys and they hold up to his 17 pound self kicking them daily for well over a year.
I would so love photos of the cat con if you go!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Meowijuana has some different ones. We were gifted two and the cats enjoy it.

But they mostly enjoy the fresh stuff I dry myself. I grew some in a pot inside and some in a pot outside.

They REALLY liked the stuff I bought at a local farmer's market.

Mailmans_Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use cosmic catnip and it gets the job done. I second the yeow banana though. Also PetSmart has a $3 pickle that is equally well loved.

misterginja

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They REALLY liked the stuff I bought at a local farmer's market.
Same here! When it's available at the Farmer's Market, the fresh catnip is my cat's favorite. After a couple of days of letting him roll around in it, I dry it out, pack it in a glass jar and freeze it, it lasts a long time. A year later and it still smells strong when taken out of the freezer to give him.

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
During the winter, I like to use this - I actually found itss lot more potent than Yeowww! It's freshly grown and dried in the US.
Amazon.com

A Few years back, I bought a catnip plant at the farmers market. I planted it in a corner next to the house. I know its a perennial plant, but that thing grows back bigger and bigger every summer!! I think it's because it's so close to the house, the roots are deep so they survive the winter (and we live in PA so you know there's some harsh winters lol. So the summer time I give them fresh catnip from the "kitty" garden. :woo:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Indy doesn't react to catnip at all, she never has. Are some cats just immune?

I find storebought stuff has been sitting around too long most of the time. But Kabuto likes the fresh stuff, it can also be used as a spice to add some flavour to salads and bbq

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I find storebought stuff has been sitting around too long most of the time. But Kabuto likes the fresh stuff, it can also be used as a spice to add some flavour to salads and bbq
I had a cat that did not react or like catnip at all. I remember reading an article that some cats don't, even though it's rare.
I tried Silvervine at my vets recommendation and that was a hit! So I have one kitty that I give Silvervine and the other gets catnip. 😂

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Silvervine doesnt affect her either, she just ignores it.
It's a gene. I'm not sure if it's a dominant gene, or if that's even known.

There's an oil in catnip that can deter mosquitoes and the like. Mosquitos can carry disease that causes illnesses. When a cat chews and rolls in it, that causes the oils to be on their fur, which can deter the mosquitos. This makes the (outdoor) cat with the catnip reacting gene more likely to survive and then more likely to pass on their genetics. So that's why a lot of cats have the gene.

I have a personal theory that in breeds that we are more likely to see as indoor, are more likely to see the genetics of non-reactive...but again it's just a personal theory.

Catnip and Cats: Effects of Catnip, Catnip Spray, Toys, and More

Catnip repels insects. Scientists may have finally found out how

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a gene. I'm not sure if it's a dominant gene, or if that's even known.

There's an oil in catnip that can deter mosquitoes and the like. Mosquitos can carry disease that causes illnesses. When a cat chews and rolls in it, that causes the oils to be on their fur, which can deter the mosquitos. This makes the (outdoor) cat with the catnip reacting gene more likely to survive and then more likely to pass on their genetics. So that's why a lot of cats have the gene.

I have a personal theory that in breeds that we are more likely to see as indoor, are more likely to see the genetics of non-reactive...but again it's just a personal theory.

Catnip and Cats: Effects of Catnip, Catnip Spray, Toys, and More

Catnip repels insects. Scientists may have finally found out how
So you are saying Indy was bitten by a mosquetoe and its because of that? Im a bit confused.

She has a feral background so I dont know her genetic makeup. Just that catnip and silvervine don't have any more effects on her than plain old grass does. She doesn't do anything with it.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Only about 50-70% of cats carry the gene that causes them to react to catnip. Out of my current 12 cats I only have one that doesn't react to catnip, but all my current cats were either outside cats before I took them in or the direct offspring of outside cats. Here is an about cats and catnip and some other things you can try if you want.
Why Do Some Cats Not React to Catnip? | PetMD

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
So Indy must be one of the 30% that dont cary the gene. Intresting that article meantions honeysuckle. Theres a honeysuckle shrub on my property but finding conflicting information reguarding toxicity.