catnip indifference

2ketzels

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my kitties used to like catnip but recently they seem to have grown indifferent. i tried several different kinds, expensive ones too, 'bud' type ones; i even used a Kongo catnip spray - they HATED that - they ran away. i have tried rubbing the catnip between my fingers to let it give off a scent - that used to work. i have put it on each of their 'chairs', on the scratch pad, on the carpet, etc but now they just walk away. I even brought the open bag to each of them to sniff and...no go, they walk away. now that they're maybe 5 yrs old does catnip not work any more?          when it DID work a few years ago, Boy became very horny and pestered Miss Kitty and Miss Kitty became nasty and tried to bite Boy. now...there's pretty well nothing happening.  no running around, no rubbing themselves against it, no eating bits of it. I thought this was a sure-fire 'excitement' for the kitties.

anyone else had the same response?

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not all cats respond to catnip. Mine doesn't. I wouldn't be surprised if cats can change their minds later in life, like your cats did.

writingislove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my cats didn't react to catnip at all until he was about 2 years old, so I'm guessing their reaction to it can vary over time.  Even now, he only reacts about every other time I give it to him.  It's a mystery.