Catio

danastnsn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if anyone has any tips for a catio. I cant let my cats go outside into the yard because of my allergies. Even though they have been inside non stop for the year we have had them. A neighbors cat has been roaming our back yard since we got rid of our dogs now they wont leave me alone about going out side. I also live on a busy street and see way to many cat bodies in the road to feel safe letting them out. I have a deck in my back yard I want to converte into a catio but I still need it to function as a door way to let the kids out to play. What are some suggestion on how to make one or buy one with out breaking my bank account.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It can be as simple as this:

or as complicated as this:

One caution - these are a little flimsy if your neighbor's cat wants to interact with your cats.

But you really have lots of options with your deck.  You can build a permanent, wired-in structure (doesn't have to have a roof) on a section of your deck that doesn't enclose the back door.  Put a cat door in the wall between the house and the new structure. That way, the door is still free for humans to use and the cats can come and go as they please.

Either way, I would make sure the neighbor's cat is healthy, though.  Not sense in having a situation  where your cats can interact with him and possibly catch something from him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danastnsn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The catio would be upstairs. I only have one door to my back yard and it is a sliding glass door and I cant think of any way but putting a door in to the stairs goin down them. So I'm not worried about the other cat attacking them becuase I think if I build it right it would work where they can go out but not get near him/her. I have chicken wire already but Im nervouse it wont hold any shelving that I might connect to it. One of my friends said if its a she it might be in heat. Would that make my make cats go crazy even thought they are fixed? They dont spray around the house or do anything naughty. We I go near the back or front door they want to bold or they meow like crazy and when I'm out side they will sit in the window and yeowl at me.

Last edited:

danastnsn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just looked at the links you posted and it made me laugh and reminded me of the kennal I got for my pom. its got the same kind of "fencing" on it and the cats shredded it to let him out. They are all friends he just cant hold it all day to go out when I get home unless he in confined.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know, they do look a little flimsy.  I don't think they'd last a day around my house.  So, it sounds like you need something sturdier.  If you are handy, you can build a wooden frame and staple the chicken wire to it.  How big is your deck - the frame doesn't have to be as big as the whole deck.

The neighbor's cat might just be annoying by his or her presence.  My cats are totally inside but I can always tell when a cat is in the yard.  They go bonkers. 

danastnsn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got them from their first owners and they were forced to be outdoor cats because the previouse owner didnt like litter boxes. But I force them to be indoors all the time but since my dog goes outside sometimes they want to go out with him especialy when someother cat is out there. I feel bad that I cant let them. My deck isn't too large, enough to probably fit four adults standing two front two back then the stairs. I dont want them to have access to the stairs since they can get too much stuff on their fur around there. I am also hoping this draw some of their attention away from the new cat and I dont have to confine them to my bedroom since she is still hiding. I am also hoping that it entices her to come out.

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got them from their first owners and they were forced to be outdoor cats because the previouse owner didnt like litter boxes. But I force them to be indoors all the time but since my dog goes outside sometimes they want to go out with him especialy when someother cat is out there. I feel bad that I cant let them. My deck isn't too large, enough to probably fit four adults standing two front two back then the stairs. I dont want them to have access to the stairs since they can get too much stuff on their fur around there. I am also hoping this draw some of their attention away from the new cat and I dont have to confine them to my bedroom since she is still hiding. I am also hoping that it entices her to come out.
Do you have a few carpentry tools like a circular saw, hammer, drill and a ladder, and some basic skills? A very easy, sturdy and inexpensive catio can be made from pressure treated 2x4s, aluminum screening (or chicken wire if you aren't worried about bugs, snakes, mice, etc), and lattice panels. Is there a window that the cats could go in and out of to get into the enclosure or will they have to go through the sliding glass door, too? If there is a window, perhaps you could enclose only the portion of the deck that won't interfere with human entrance into the house via the sliding glass door. If you will not have access to the enclosure from inside of the house, you will need to add a people door (a screen door works fine) and the framing for it. I always put roofs on enclosures to protect against climbing critters (eg. bobcats and other cats) and flying critters (eg. owls).  Wire fencing, lattice or plastic corrugated  panels all work well for roofing.

But... if you're still introducing a new cat into the household, I wonder if the change and additional stimulation of an outdoor area is a good idea? Most cats are such creatures of habit and so insecure that change to their environment has to happen at a snail's pace. And the agitation brought about by the neighbor's cat (or any other visitor) may get transferred to your new kitty.