Catio recommendations?

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm looking on Wayfair, Amazon, and Chewy. I've heard complaints from buyers of wooden structures saying things like, "The wood fell apart as soon as I started pounding nails in" or "The wood grew mold"! For metal structures that aren't specifically advertised as "rust-proof", there are reviews of people complaining about the structure rusting. There's another type that I'm considering that is coated with a rust-proof coating but that has, according to buyer reviews, sometimes collapsed! Ugh! It is SO hard to find a trustworthy catio that doesn't cost more than $300! If anybody has recommendations of particular brands, let me know. I'm not wanting to do a DIY structure because I'm not super handy and my time is very limited.

Silver K

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This might not be what you're looking for but I thought I would let you know about it anyways. This is what I use since I live in an apartment. It's a main level suite so letting my cats roam free isn't an option. I live by a busy road and there is a large population of cayotes in the area as well. I bought this for $200 (Canadian) on Amazon, here is the link so you can have a look. Amazon.ca
Screenshot 2024-01-30 181329.png
My cats absolutely love it.
IMG_20230513_182102 - Copy.jpg
IMG_20230513_170536 - Copy.jpg

Hope this helps!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This might not be what you're looking for but I thought I would let you know about it anyways. This is what I use since I live in an apartment. It's a main level suite so letting my cats roam free isn't an option. I live by a busy road and there is a large population of cayotes in the area as well. I bought this for $200 (Canadian) on Amazon, here is the link so you can have a look. Amazon.ca
View attachment 469244
My cats absolutely love it.
View attachment 469245View attachment 469246
Hope this helps!
Thank you! It looks like a great idea for a location like yours, but a structure with a soft net unfortunately won't work for me. We live in the countryside on almost 2 acres of land. My cat will tear through soft netting if he's excited or stressed, and there are wild animals that will tear through soft netting to get to their prey.

Silver K

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! It looks like a great idea for a location like yours, but a structure with a soft net unfortunately won't work for me. We live in the countryside on almost 2 acres of land. My cat will tear through soft netting if he's excited or stressed, and there are wild animals that will tear through soft netting to get to their prey.
You're welcome. And yes I do watch them when they are out there playing. I don't see them busting out of it but a wild animal hungry enough could certainly make their way in.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Whatever you go with, remember wild animals can dig under, climb over, and chew through things we think are "animal proof". What type of predators are you dealing with?
Find a catio that's able to be strongly bolted to the house (aka, cannot be moved by a wild animal), and close it off a night so the cats are inside.
Mine was built by a friend of mine and me (well, I steadied beams while he did all the work, but, I "helped". I think.) There is a small catio within the big catio but the company went out of business years ago. I feel the catio is very sturdy and safe, but it's my preference that they are shut inside at night.