Catio access (need some ideas to teach cats!!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well good news! Today I have finally had the opportunity to open up the access route from the stairs out to the run (Dari's cone is now off, pending keeping an eye on her scratching).

Anubis fits!!!!

Feora was straight through the door in the stairs and into the cupboard. Anubis much more hesitant but also went through. Dari once that I know of.

I went into the cupboard myself and spent some time with treats etc but only saw Anubis and Feora. However so far neither of them have been willing to actually go out into the run. Both have put head and shoulders through the opening and I thought at one point that Feora would go out but nope.

One thing I hadn't considered is that when I came back in, if they are under the stairs as I'm going up it seems to scare them. I guess they will get used to it....

But really delighted that at least all three have been willing to go through the stair door and into the cupboard area! Hooray!!

Still think some further work to widen/enlarge the access holes is a good idea. Anubis will be more comfortable so that's my next step. Stair riser can be a bit wider but height is fixed at the 16cm mark but would be good if he can stand up after going through the door.

:bigeyes::bigeyes::bigeyes:

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Now all I have to do is try and persuade them to actually go out into the run itself!!
:wavey:

Going to try them again later today. However until I'm satisfied that they are happy and comfortable I'm going to keep the door blocked up while I'm at work / overnight etc. I want to be sure they are safe - there are some people around me with dogs that occasionally bark, which is fine, but I want to make sure they don't get scared the first time they actually venture out, or they'll never use it.

Shame that it's pitch dark by the time I get home at night as that means it'll be next weekend before I can try again if they don't go out today.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stick them through the opening, into the tunnel. It's a box to a cat and they'll explore it and know what to do right away.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If they like churu/other squeeze treats, you could put a little bit on a few dishes going down the tunnel into the catio part. My cat can smell that stuff from a mile away!

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Success!!!!! :yess::jump:

Feora and Anubis in the cat run :biggrin: Nos ign at all of Dari yet. Still, early days but delighted that two have ventured out. Yay!!!!

First pic Feora, in the second Feora is on the shelf, third pic Anubis.

My hands are freezing, I'm standing in the run squeaking and calling to them to come out. The neighbours are probably wondering what I'm doing standing there going 'Come on mummy's brave boy, yes you are, come on out, who's a big brave kitty!' !!

Need to tart the run up a bit - got some plans for swingy ropes and some things to climb, but over the moon so far :)

Attachments

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks all :) Just Dari-twinkle-feet to go now but no rush, am sure she'll go out when she's ready. I've blocked the entrance etc again at the moment due to being at work and not wanting them out there at night for the time being.

Have decided (for the moment) not to get the holes / tunnel widened. My main worry was Anubis and he seems quite happy going in and out. Should it change then I will go ahead but not sure needed just yet.

:)

Attachments